Koodo Suspended my Account and they aren't willing to tell me the REASON!!!

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I've been with Koodo for 8 days and honestly, it's the biggest mistake I've made by choosing them as my service provider.  

They've suspended my account without any prior intimation and aren't ready to educate the customer regarding the reason behind suspending. I'm new to canada and it's only been 13 days since I've landed. I initially opted for FIDO as my career on the 5th of May, but I had compatibility issues with my older phone and the FIDO SIM card, and the FIDO management stated they would require me to be 30 days or older to opt in for a phone on contract. But I wasn't patient to wait for 30 days so I thought I'd go for a different carrier.

I've been with Koodo for 8-9 days, since the 9th of May, so obviously there's no possibility of of me having committed FRAUDULENT ACTIVITIES which their unfriendly and RAW customer support indirectly hint/accuse me of. There were the frustrating issues I faced,

1. It takes 25-30 Minutes to reach out to a customer support personnel.
2. The customer support associates are based in Romania! RAW, unfriendly and blunt!
3. Its a good practice that they ask you details to verify the legitimacy of the users account, but man at the end of all that they always claim they have no idea or what's going to happen to my suspended account. They try to route me to a different team stating its a "Fraudulent HELPLINE" but the line never connects.
4. Like I've mentioned a trillion time above, I am new to the country, it takes 90 days for the government to issues me my PR Card, health card and my bank 30 days to give me my physical Address proof. So the only proof i'm left with is my PASSPORT & my Landing Papers. This is not enough as they can not un-suspend my account.
5. To top it all, the customer support add insult to injury stating I've got to wait 3 days for the "god knows who" to re-activate my number.

GIVE ME FOUR REASONS WHY SHOULD I BE WITH KOODO AFTER ALL THIS?

FIDO gave me 8!

NOTE: Never buy phones from any of the 3rd Party retailers. I got mine from the "WoW mobile boutique" retailer. HUGE MISTAKE! Please go to legit Service branded retailers. 
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,052 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Fahad,
If you are new to the country, how can you pass the credit check to get a postpaid number and a phone? Did you use credit cards of someone else? Did they  put you on a spending limit program?
The people in the forum are mostly customers, we don't have access to your account, so we couldn't know what really happened. However, as you mentioned the account was suspended due to Fraudulent activity reasons then you have to wait for them to answer. There aren't many things you could do.
(Edited)
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

That's a question the sales representative at the wow store could answer . I wasn't asked for my credit card when I got the SIM! I however do have a credit card that has a pretty decent 4 digit limit though. So there no issue from the banks side.
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

I'm not going argue with the do's and Dont's of the whole procedure, since I new commer can not be expected to be aware of such details. Which is the responsibility of the store clerk. I however want to know the reason for this aspect falling under fraudulent bucket? I never made any international calls nor has my balance gone beyond the $65+30+ tax rate. Any explanation would help
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,052 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
ok, maybe, their system was setup that way. I don't know. If you did everything right, then you don't have to worry. It might be some automatic flag within Koodo system.

I believe Koodo has a separated anti fraud department. I saw them responded back 5-7 days but I am not sure how they operate or when they have an answer for your case.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 95,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If your application has been flagged by the Fraud dept., no info will be released at least until they complete their assessment.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 199,976 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Honestly if you have been flagged, I would just call in to cancel and sign up for prepaid. Or wait for fido. Koodo's fraud department in this situation is a complete black hole. You could also report them to the BBB and the CRTC but moving on would be much faster
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

Apparently, I'm not allowed to cancel or give up my number till the issue is resolved. Also, I signed up for Koodos 2 year contract, So I'm handicapped for 72 Hours. What would you suggest I do now? 
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 23,584 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You could always sign up with koodo prepaid (which I doubt you want to do) or sign up with another provider. If you want the number you could port it in to Koodo prepaid or whoever else you decide to go with. A successful port of your number would close your Koodo postpaid account. Then again Koodo could block the port of the number since your account has problems. So you might just want to stay with the new number to avoid problems.

As for the 2 year contract You can cancel/port anytime you want. You would just have to pay off the balance of your phone. There are no cancellation charges.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 199,976 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try to port your number to Fido and see if they can do it.

Or you can return your device with where you purchased it so you can get your money back (assuming it is within 15 days)
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

Great. I was told the same thing by 4 customer service representatives. On the contrary they couldn't confirm how many days it would take them to undo this. Any idea?
Photo of Mats

Mats

As Dinh said you shouldn't have even been able to pass the credit check to get a postpaid plan and phone being new to the country. However you did it Koodo was flagged which is why you're now dealing with the fraud department.

You could always go with a Koodo prepaid plan which requires no credit check. You can buy Koodo vouchers. You then use those to buy a base plan every month and any boosters you need through your prepaid self serve account.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-p...

Why are you mad at Wow mobile? What went wrong with them? They offer some pretty good deals on phones.
(Edited)
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

Funny you ask!

1. You expect a new commer to understand the whole process of giving a customer a plan? I'm a customer not a retail provider.

2. If the koodo/wow employees were well trained on what to give or not give a new customer like me, then I wouldn't have had to go through all of this.

As per your statement, "Koodo caught on to it", after 8 days! That's a cliche. Wonder what they were doing all along then, as per your claim! Are The fraud System associates laid back eating doughnuts?

I am mad because I can not make or receive calls. I don't expect you understand but Let's not take sides ;)
Photo of Mats

Mats

As far as Wow, I thought you were upset about the phone not with them for not following proper procedure as in asking for a credit card which I assumed they did. Valid point. If it's a requirement then Koodo should also deny right away if one isn't provided instead of putting you in the situation that you are now in.

Oh I understand that you're mad about what has happened and I'm not taking Koodo side. I assumed you had to show a card and something was found to be wrong with it by Koodo later on. After being in the country for only 5 days you were able to get a postpaid plan. I didn't think that was possible and still don't think it is because of a credit check. This doesn't seem like it was done until later on. You're upset, fair enough.
That is how their fraud management department works and hasn't improved at all in years. No way to contact them except for an email address that they don't even reply with, and a fax number which looks like is in Toronto but not really. Only if you complain to some TELUS executives (I did), there is a possibility that someone from the Philippines will personally email you back. Yep, they deal with possible fraud in Canada from the Philippines. With other providers, and I had to deal with both, they have "validation departments" in Canada whom you can talk with over the phone and get everything resolved real quick. Who cheaps out on fraud management?
Photo of Fahad Manzur

Fahad Manzur

Sigh :(. i Tried reaching out to the telus support @ https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/contact-us/escalations, but their tools don't seem to work. It says, "Sorry, something went wrong and we can’t connect you at this time. Please end this chat and try again. / Un problème nous empêche d’établir la connexion. Veuillez mettre fin à cette séance de clavardage et essayer de nouveau"

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 95,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As a Koodo customer, you would not have access to Telus’ customer service.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.