Koodo Prepaid SIM Not Working - Samsung GT-I8190 SIII Mini

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have recently moved to Canada from Ireland and have brought my phone over with me – it's a Samsung SIII Mini GT-i8190 model. I checked with Koodo online and their site says that this model should support a Koodo Prepaid SIM. Staff at the Koodo stall where I bought the SIM had no demo's available so I just purchased the SIM and have set it up, placed it in my phone but it will not recognise or connect to any network. So no calls nor texts. The phone is unlocked, there is no prompt for an unlock code and I'm not sure where to go from here. Anyone any suggestions?? Thanks!!
Photo of Tom J

Tom J

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That phone is only partially compatiable. Unfortunately however it lacks the 850 mhz hsdpa band which koodo uses most. It does have the 1900mhz band and so it will work but sporadically.

I recommend getting a phone compatiable with North American frequencies. 850/1900mhz hsdpa and band 4 lte

If you insist on using this phone then you'll want to goto Rogers, they are the only carrier I can think of that still have a legacy 2G network.
(Edited)
Photo of Tom J

Tom J

Thanks for your reply. Are their any settings I can change on the phone even for it to work temporarily until I get an alternative or is my only option to leave the SIM in the phone and hope it registers some kind of network connection??
Photo of Tom J

Tom J

Thanks - it's just unfortunate that Koodo don't seem to mention this when they say on their website that the phone is compatible. Can anyone suggest a decent, reasonably priced prepaid phone that I can pick up and use my new SIM with?
Photo of Melissa

Melissa, Employee

• 11,748 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You can take a look at the prepaid phones that we have to offer here -> https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-phones
Photo of Tom J

Tom J

Excellent guys - thanks for all your suggestions.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.