Koodo network not seen using Huawei e303 HSPA modem

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Hi, I have a HUAWEI e303 modem.  I have put my SIM card from my phone in it to see if I can see any 3G networks.  I am able to see WIND and Rogers but not Koodo.  Any ideas why?
Photo of David

David

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 139,982 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If your device cannot see koodo's network it means:
A) there is no koodo network to find
or
B) the device is not compatible with koodo's network
Photo of David

David

Thank you Timo for an idea on trouble shooting paths.  To find out which is the case, I tried putting the SIM card back in the phone in the same geographical location.  I have full service so I think I can rule out A.  For item B, the modem supports HSDPA 850/1900, HSPA+ 850/1900, UMTS 850/1900, WCDMA 850/1900.  I tried them all by forcing them one by one on the modem and also putting it into auto mode.  No luck.  Most of these, likely all, are supported by Rogers too and I can see that network.  Would there be some band missing Koodo uses for discovery that makes it not visible.
Photo of Spence

Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Is the modem set to 2g or edge    Because Koodo does not have 2G or Edge
Rogers does so that may be why you see it.
Just a thought
Photo of David

David

Spence, your thought was correct.  I found some more detailed information on the e303 modem by querying it with "AT" commands while it's in COM port mode.  Turns out the WCDMA mode is not supported at 850/1900 MHz, only 2100 MHz.  Looks like I will need another variant of the modem.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.