Koodo mobile should have Home Internet for $50/month for Koodo customers.

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
Photo of Tricia Douglas

Tricia Douglas

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 47,396 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Agreed it would be cool but data limits on home wifi are rough and I dont believe Koodos systems are ready for unlimited data.
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

• 12,892 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

@Allan: OP's suggestion would be a wireline service, not wireless.

"Should" is relative. Fido kick-started the trend in Ontario on the Rogers network. Virgin did the same on the Bell network (again Ontario only) to compete with Fido. Bell network also available in Quebec plus Bell Aliant in the maritimes, Rogers network also available in NB and NL, but no one is offering home internet via subsidiary brands out there.

If Koodo were to offer home internet, it'd be on Telus's network, which is limited to BC/AB and some of Eastern QC. But to compete with who? Not Fido nor Virgin. Maybe if Shaw were to offer it under FreedomMobile in AB, but still, wouldn't be happening in Ontario.

In otherwords, don't expect to see this any time soon.

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

Oh he didnt say wired service. I was think home internet like Koodos home phone service. I was thinking it could be implemented along with the home phone service Koodo has. Kinda make the hub a bundle and keep Koodo running as a selfserve buisness. As soon as you add wired internet into a house you will need to have someone set it up so i think to implement it in a way like the home phone service would be the only way Koodo could do it while keeping the company "self serve"
(Edited)
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

@Allan: That won't happen any time soon, and Koodo would probably be the last carrier to offer it. Other carriers including Rogers/Bell/Telus/Fido/Virgin/FreedomMobile/Vidéotron/etc. offer "tablet plans" (meaning data-only plans), but not Koodo...Koodo's response is "Data plans for tablets are expensive" - link

None of the incubents (Rogers/Bell/Telus) nor their subsidiaries offer unlimited wireless data. Wireless data is the bread and butter of the wireless industry these days and the incremental costs of offering phone support vs. self-serve is trivial compared to offering 300 GB data buckets (or unlimited).

OP didn't have to say "wired service". It's pretty obvious that "home internet for $50/month" is suggesting a competitive alternative to Fido or Koodo's home internet in Ontario.

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

Sorry if im not clear in what im saying. Im not saying these are ideas that will happen, just ideas that could happen. Correct me if im wrong but my idea is a possibility is it not? None of us know what the head guys at Koodo are thinking so they can do anything! Also i would say "its pretty obvious" because he didnt say what he was referring to in his question so all ideas should be able to be shared without being shot down!
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

@Allan: OP was suggesting an idea stacked against current offers on the market (as the two other subsidiaries are offering this in Ontario). You could open up a new idea suggesting Koodo start offering tablet/data plans. I'm suggesting that your initial comment was off tangent, and was cycling some feedback on OP's idea.

OP's suggestion was innocent, going by the logic "the other guys are doing it, so why can't my wireless carrier do it?" I addressed that saying "Koodo's big brother Telus just doesn't have the infrastructure in Ontario meaning reselling on Bell/Rogers wouldn't be profitable enough, so Koodo/Telus would rather stay out of that game". You brought in a completely different idea, which could merit its own thread.

No hard feelings, just good to stay on topic ;)

Photo of Dan Bauman

Dan Bauman

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Telus has "smart hub" I use for rural internet its 110 bucks for half terabyte , I can watch Netflix for 8 hours a day and have data left over. I like it... it's all I can get out here. I have 2 phones with Koodo and love their service BUT I have to give Telus my money because Koodo doesn't offer BUT I would rather get from Koodo and ya, maybe get home phone too... all in one box.... that'd be cool! My 2 cents :-)
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 139,910 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Can't help you with home Internet, but Koodo offers the wireless home phone now in most provinces. We use it too and it's so much better than the actual home phone ever was!
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,768 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The thing with coming out with the a hub like Telus is that the only places that Telus has this hub is where they have a major ISP backbone in BC and Alberta. Unfortunately, they don't have the same backbone available to support major data traffic such as home networks in the remainder of the country so there is little reason for Koodo to offer this service.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 81,510 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Actually, Mathieu, it is even narrower than that. The service is offered to people who can connect through (some) towers which are on Telus' Fibre network, and have the necessary bandwidth, else all that is available is the regular mobility data product and prices. 

So, as you say, it is not as simple as having cellular connectivity.
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

@Roar:
What about someone who has a trailer home and happens to reside in rural AB/BC? Can they not drive in to major cities with their home hub? While they're in the city, they won't get any LTE connection on their home hub? Say those who live near the SK boarder, once they cross, no data connection on their home hub?

I know Bell's deal for ON/QC ($60-145 for 5-100 GB) is more expensive than TELUS, but can be used anywhere (including where Bell DSL/Fibe is available).