Koodo is in Violation of the Wireless Code

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered

I ordered a new phone (add a new line) from Koodo's website about a month ago. I just realized that I did not receive a copy of my contract, neither through email nor mail. Are you people aware that this violates the Wireless Code?

A service provider must give the customer a permanent copy of the contract and related documents at no charge in the following circumstances:

If the contract is not agreed to in person (i.e. if it is agreed to over the phone, online, or otherwise at a distance), the service provider must send the contract and related documents to the customer within 15 calendar days of the customer agreeing to the contract. If a service provider fails to do this, or if the terms and conditions of the permanent copy of the contract conflict with the terms and conditions that the customer agreed to, the customer may, within 30 calendar days of receiving the permanent copy of the contract, cancel the contract without paying an early cancellation fee or any other penalty.

Photo of WalterWhite

WalterWhite

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Koodo does not have cancellation fees and no contract.  Basically you agree to pay for a phone and they agree to provide a service.  It is not the same as the other providers who agree to discount a phone in exchange for a contract.  With Koodo, if you cancel you just pay for the phone you bought (ie the Tab)
Photo of WalterWhite

WalterWhite

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Cancellation fee = the discount you received on your phone = Tab balance

Contract = Tab

but that is off-topic here, so I won't argue with you on that.

What I am saying is that as per the Wireless Code, Koodo has to send the agreement within 15 days of the customer agreeing to it, and they did not do it. That is the only part relevant to my post. I am not talking about the consequences.

(Edited)
As per Koodo...Instead of a fixed-term contract, Koodo Mobile lets you run a tab towards the price of a new mobile phone. If you're eligible, it's a flexible way to get a phone without paying the full retail price, and without an annoying contract.

I have been with Koodo for several years and have never been in a contract.  I have worked for other carriers who do have contracts.  There is a difference.  With Koodo there is no cancellation fee, you just pay the amount owing on the phone.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 95,574 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Addison, your tab is your contract with Koodo. The amount owing on the tab for the phone is the cancellation fee.
Dude the info I posted above is from the website
Photo of WalterWhite

WalterWhite

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The info you posted above is what people call "Marketing."
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Addison. By definition and in this context, an agreement is a contract. Since Koodo does not offer fixed-term contracts, the tab is considered a contract of indeterminate length and under the Wireless Code, an indeterminate contract. As for cancellation fees, you may want to familiarize yourself with Koodo's Service terms.

https://www.koodomobile.com/service-t...

Can I cancel my service at any time?

Yes. To cancel your service, contact Koodo with the date you want the cancellation to be effective. Cancellation fees may apply. (The amount owing on the tab for the phone).
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,818 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's probably just an oversight. My contract (tab disclosure) was included with my phone. I'll pass this on to our liaison. I'm sure they'll happily accomodate you.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 27,624 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi "Walter" - we'd be happy to look into this for you, but I'm unable to retrieve any of your account info. using the details you used to register for this community. Would you mind sending us a private message on Facebook so we can authenticate your account and look into things from there? You can reference this thread when you message to help simplify things. 
Photo of WalterWhite

WalterWhite

No need. I have seen enough Koodo agreements, so I don't need one for my line specifically. I checked and confirmed that a relative who also ordered online in the past few months did not get a copy either. So it doesn't seem like a one time error.

What I am saying is that you are violating the Wireless Code, and you need to get this fixed by sending customers their agreements within 15 days. TELUS people usually send the agreement before even shipping the order.

(Edited)
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 138,430 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
As indicated by others in this thread, most people DO receive the necessary documentation. It is not being deliberately left out by koodo. If their system shows a record of the information being sent to the email or address provided to them, then, whether it was received our not, they are not in violation of the wireless code. If their systems show that the information was NOT sent, they can correct the issue. They cannot look into either, however, if they do not know which account to check.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 85,926 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@WalterWhite,
    Thanks for clarifying  - it sheds a completely different light on your initial comment! 
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 95,796 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
WalterWhite, have you checked your spam/junk folders for the email. Also, is the email on file with Koodo correct. As these things are automatically generated, it's far more likely that your spam filter intercepted it (it's what happened when I got a new phone from the webstore).
Photo of WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Yes.