Koodo does not honor $100 (online only promo) referral credits for new activations

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
From March 6 to March 9, Koodo run a promotion to offer $100 referral credits to online new activations. I referred some friends and they redeemed the offer during that period. They received email confirmations with the $100 offer and ask them to do activations, so they placed their online order with a new sim card and plan (almost all are on the $40/6GB Public Mobile migration plan). On March 9, Koodo suddenly dropped the $100 referral promotion and the amount went back to $25. Most of my referees were still waiting for the shipment of SIM card on March 9. Now some of them got their SIM cards and ported in their numbers. They entered their phone numbers on the referral site to finish the referral process and later got email confirmation that they will only get $25 referral credits.

I contacted the Koodo's referral team before and they mentioned that they will use the activation date to determine the amount. I think this practice should not be applicable in this case. The $100 referral prmotion was for online order only and Koodo's shipment usually takes several days. Since the promotion only run for 4 days (actually it is a little over 72 hours), only a few lucky customers got their SIM cards on time to get the $100 credit.

I think Koodo's practice is unethical. You provided an online only offer on March 6, but you required your customers to finish all the steps by March 9, which was not even enough time for Koodo to deliver all SIM cards. Koodo also did not mentioned the expiry date on this promotion and dropped it suddenly. It is more like a bait to ask customers to place an online order (and do a credit check). Now my friends came from Public Mobile all complain about Koodo. Koodo has successfully impressed these new customers with unresponsible (or intentional?) practices.

I request Koodo to honor the $100 referral credit to these customers who redeemed the offer during the promo period, even if they activated their services after March 9.
Photo of Sheng Mei

Sheng Mei

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

• 4,356 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
For me it is no brainer for Koodo to fulfill that promise even if it has happened after the deadline. Losing reputation now a days is very easy. Personaly I wouldn't like it to happen to Koodo.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 29,328 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The offer will be honoured for anyone that initiated, or claimed, the referral invite within the promo period. If the person(s) you referred did not accept/register/initiate on the Refer-a-friend website during that period, and only entered their information after, then they would only be eligible for the in-market offer available at that time.

Your specific situation is rather 'unique' though, judging by your account activity, Sheng...
Photo of Jay

Jay

so i registered under the $100 referral link on  march 11, and if i go through with the process, you are telling  me koodo will not honour the $100 referral credit?
Photo of Sheng Mei

Sheng Mei

They will honor it if you redeemed your offer with $100 credit.
Photo of Jay

Jay

i'd like a clarification from Ranjan, because it sounds like im in the latter case mentioned, since the promo period was mar 6-9 and i acted on mar 11. but feel free to update me if you had a referree in my shoes.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Choi

Eric Choi

• 60 Points
I have the same situation. I got a referral link during the period when there was $100 referral credit (Mar 6-9). I purchased switched my plan online on Mar 6th. I just transferred my old number to koodo sim card today and referral claimed the referral today. I received confirmation email saying Offer claimed on: March 6, 2018 so I think that should be considered valid. I also had another line transferred and referral claimed today Offer claimed on: March 10, 2018. Can I get $100 for the second line? I used the link from $100 credit period. I mean I wouldn't have done transfer if the credit is only $25. I would like to get both line for $100. my friend who referred me to koodo is disappointed about the fact that we potentially would not get $100 credit for either line.
Photo of D

D

• 70 Points
@rajan, Who do we contact because I am going to escalate this. I bought a SIM card from the store and was told I could activate online. THAT wasn't true. I called 611 and they helped me and assured that I would get my $100 referrals. I even have a recording of the call for anyone to listen to as this is BS. I am not happy with the way Koodo is brushing me off via e-mail and calling in no one seems to be able to help since they are in another continent.

Escalate, Escalate, Escalate, please everyone!
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 93,308 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately email doesn't get responses well. You're best off sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter to get it sorted out
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

I'd have to look at your account to gather details, which I'm unable to do as you're using a different email address here from what's linked to your account. If you follow Goran's suggestion above, a rep. will help look into this with you.
Photo of Sheng Mei

Sheng Mei

Thanks for the confirmation. I will directly contact the referral team case by case.
(Edited)
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Well, that's up to you, but I've shared your account info. with the appropriate teams. I would suspect someone will be in touch.
Photo of kingstonian

kingstonian

• 60 Points
Hi Sheng, please keep us updated on this as I'm also in the same referral situation just waiting for my wife's sim to arrive, ordered March 8, will update as things progress.
Photo of Sheng Mei

Sheng Mei

I received $100 referral credit for one of my referee after I post my comments, so it indeed works. I then checked these $25 credits and noticed that my referees probably redeemed their offers just after the promotion expired, even if I sent then the during the promo period.

It is my apolopgy to Koodo as they do honor the $100 offer, but I am still kind of dissatisfied with such a short promo period without clearly expiration date. I am also worried about the inconsistancy of how Koodo honor these offers. Last time they did not honor a similar double referral promotion even if the offer was redeemed during the promo period. Their response was that the new line had to be activated during the promo period.

Overall the whole referral process is more complicated than it should be.

Photo of Brian M

Brian M

• 62 Points
Hi,

I've written to your support team as well, I signed up online. Received $100 referral, went to activate line online but sim card would take up to 10 business days to arrive, couldn't wait that long, still placed order to see if card could arrive early - it didn't.  Went to store activated a line, came home on Tuesday, ported number over.  Went to refer cousins and mother (one can only do so with active line), but you guys pulled a bait and switch and dropped the referral down to $25, now stuck with old phone and wanted to upgrade to Pixel 2 but unable to do so.  My mother and cousin are both interested in porting over, but your promotion ends on march 15 and your customer service referral response time is 3 business days, stuck in limbo for response.... 
Photo of Sheng Mei

Sheng Mei

I think the real problem was that there was no clear expiration date for the promotion and it only lasted for a very short period. It made everyone difficult to plan ahead. Actually the promo was suddenly withdraw during the mid of day, not even overnight. I was just explaining the $100 offer to a friend at that time and then sent him a link with only $25 credit. Really bad experience.
Photo of Wilson Cheng

Wilson Cheng

• 70 Points
I have same problem. I call in 4 times already and no one willing to look into the issue.
Just ask me to send the email , and again no response.
I done everything during the $100 refer bonus period and only got $25. Koodo just break the promoise and now just telling me it is what it is, 
Photo of Sheng Mei

Sheng Mei

When you redeemed your referral offer 3 weeks ago, did you receive the email mentioned the $100 credit. That was the key and evidence.