Japan roaming data package

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No longer valid due to Easy Roam

I'm about to head to Japan for a couple weeks. Looking into a data roaming package (don't need voice of text). I'm on a Oneplus 3T (Android). The only option that I see is the International Roaming Package with 50-50-50 for$40. Are there any better options? Thanks for any help.
Photo of Brent Kochan

Brent Kochan

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,122 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What you see is all that is offered. Might unlocking your phone & getting a local SIM better meet your needs?
Photo of Jru Gordon

Jru Gordon

• 9,174 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Have fun in Japan, I'm a bit jealous

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,364 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Everything related to prepaid in Japan can be found here : http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan
Photo of Brent Kochan

Brent Kochan

Thanks guys. Yeah, I actually am unlocked and was originally planning on buying a local SIM. I have a friend over there right now and he said it was a real pain. Apparently had to wait a day to activate and then spent 20 minutes on the phone with customer service to set up a new access point. If anybody has advice on how to make that a little easier, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
Photo of Levis

Levis, Employee

• 2,174 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Brent, our international roaming package is really more meant for emergencies, rather than for casual browsing while abroad. Having visited Japan, trust me you will need data in order to find your way, especially in the train system. The places that I stayed at (hotels and Airbnb) all had portable Wi-Fi, that I was allowed to bring with me. Perhaps you should check with your reception if this is available. If not, a day wait time and 20 mins on the phone isn't that bad, since you'll be there for a couple weeks. 
Photo of Brent Kochan

Brent Kochan

Ok thanks
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 116,304 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you need just data, then check "WIFI rental". It's a portable wifi hotspot and you can use it about $80(6750 yen) for 30days for 10GB.
You can pick it up at the airport or request to driver to your hotel or friend's house.
You just drop it off at post when you return it. It's easy.
I use this store when I go to Japan.
http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/

They have different mobile plan system, and it's not easy to get prepaid SIM for short stay.
Photo of Brent Kochan

Brent Kochan

Great. I'll check that out for sure. Thanks!
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

Enjoy your trip (^_^)
Photo of Brent Kochan

Brent Kochan

Just checking out that WIFI rental. Do you know if it works well in areas like Myoko Kogen and Morioka? Thanks again.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

I only used the GL06P type(basic one) and it says it's not good in Mountain area.
I never tried it in Myoko Kogen and Morioka. So I don't know(I can't tell) if it works well there or not
But I'm guessing that Myoko Kogen is in country side with more mountains, so you might have difficulty. Morioka should be fine if you stay in city. 

I went to "5th station of Mt. Fuji" with it, and I couldn't connect to WIFI through the mountain. But once we came down and sightseeing around foot of the mountain, there was no problem. 
In "Kinugawa" , "Ise Shima" , and "Hakone"  worked ok(slow and spotty in some area).  
In Tokyo, Yokohama, Cape Soya(wakkanai) also worked great.

I've been to many different area and It worked great in most area.- no trouble in urban area. No WIFI or very spotty in the mountain area.

There are many "Pocket WIFI Rental Store" in Japan now.  You can check different Wifi rental stores to compare price and coverage area that suit you best :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.