It says that I used up 1,780Mb of data on July 14th.....how is this possible??

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
It says that I used up 1,780Mb of data on July 14th.....how is this possible?? I ocassionally check a web site, don't watch tv or movies on my phone, or anything like that....how could I possible have used that much data in one day?
Photo of Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 65,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Could've had a software update, app update, accidentally downloaded something. Had some apps running in the background. Could be a number of things.

You can check your data usage on your phone and see if you can pin point what used it all.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,894 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Tim,
What phone are you using? have you checked your data usage monitor in the phone and see if anything happened there? If the phone did something, some data should showed up. May be it it not for the specific period but you will have sense of what program took your data.
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,548 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you have an iPhone it'll be harder to track as iPhone does not have aonthly data cycle option. You can download a third party option on the app store for easy data usage management. Also check to see if you had WiFi assist on.
Photo of Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
my phone is a Galaxy A5 and all of the settings are the same as when I first set it up and it still did this
There was a system update the other day so maybe that screwed something up
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tim,

Mobile data (data) is enabled from the factory. It's not something that people check because the majority want to see data working right out of the box.

Prior to the system update, warning messages normally appear instructing the user to connect to a Wi-Fi source due to the size of a system update. (1.8 GB's sounds about right for a system update). If the message is ignored or bypassed inadvertently and data is enabled, then this explains the higher than normal rate of data consumption.

Do you have internet/Wi-Fi at home? If so, it's best to use Wi-Fi whenever possible. To disable mobile data, go to: Settings > Connections > Data usage - disable mobile data. 

Also, make sure the setting - 'Switch to mobile data' is disabled. This feature is also enabled by default from the factory on most Samsung devices. This feature will allow your device to automatically switch to mobile data in the event your phone loses its connection to Wi-Fi.

To check this setting, go to: Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi - tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen and select Advanced. Disable the setting 'Switch to mobile data'. Any time you receive a system update or factory reset your phone, mobile data will automatically re-enable itself. Remember to disable mobile data.