Issue with $50 referral bonus promised back in May 2017. no resolution with refer a friend support.

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • (Edited)
I have pasted the exchange between myself and Koodo support in respect to $50 activation credit I feel I am owed as this was the referral program I have signed up for. 
Here's the cole's notes version,

1. A friend who has Koodo referred me on May 15 , 2017. I accepted the invite and set up the account.  Email from Koodo clearly stated $50 referral credit.
2. On June 10 I bought a phone and ported my number from bell. No issues.
3. Koodo only gave me $25 credit as they claim I needed to activate by June 5 or so. I did not see any note on the date nor were koodo forthright in providing a link or document outlining it.
All communications and fine print on koodo's website and emails only stipulated I needed to activate within 30 days of invite, which I did. I made sure to read all the fine print.

I have wasted numerous hours on this without any results. I am therefore asking the community forum's assistance here.

see below. please start from bottom.

=====================================================
-------------------------------
Koodo Mobile Refer-A-Friend via freshdesk.com 
Aug 29

to me 
Hi Mark,

We are sorry for any confusion but the promotion offered a second $25 only in cases where the referred person activated a service on or before June 5th, 2017. Your activation date was on June 10, 2017. As you and your friend have not met this requirement we cannot issue extra rewards.

Sincerely, 

The Koodo Refer A Friend Support Team

On Tue, 29 Aug at 12:46 PM , Mark.V. <mark.V.@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's one of your emails. please read your terms and conditions as well as your rules. there's no mention of any date limits on activation other than 30 days from accepting the referral which I did. Hence I insist both myself and Michael are to get the $50 referral.

the dates you are referring to are only in existence in your internal memos.

This is not good customer service and I do not appreciate you not following up on your own policies.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Koodo Refer-a-Friend <koodomobile@mail.sparkrefer.com>
Date: Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:49 PM
Subject: Activate now to get your rewards!
To: Mark

You've successfully claimed your offer, here are your next steps. View this email in your browser.
Bring a buddy and get bill credits. Refer a friend!
Welcome to Koodo! You're thiiiis close to your bill credits. Once you've activated with Koodo, come back and enter your phone number, and you'll be all set.
Shop Koodo Plans Now
What happens next?

1. Go to a Koodo Shop or a Retail partner and activate a postpaid account with Koodo

2. Click here to give us your new Koodo phone number

3. Both you and your friend will get a $50 bill credit.

Rules  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Privacy  |  Contact Us Powered by RewardStream
© 2017 Koodo Mobile  |  25 York Street Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2V5, Canada  |  https://www.koodomobile.com 
You have received this email from Koodo Mobile because you are a member of Koodo Refer-a-Friend. 
To stop receiving emails from Koodo Mobile, you may opt-out (using link) to end your participation in the program.

-- 
Mark

------------------------
Tell us how we did! Fill out our Customer Service Satisfaction survey and be entered for a monthly draw for $500. 
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6HDTZNV?c=Angelyn Talavera&fd_ticketid=159292&fd_group=Koodo Customer Care

159292:101948

Mark
Aug 29

to Koodo 
Can you please show me this fine print where it clearly states I have to activate before June 5.  All i am seeing is that i had 30 days to activate to get the 50 dollar credit. Also, I would appreciate it if you could escalate this matter to your supervisors.
Without specifying this , you're refusing a promotion without reason.

Here's the text from your rules on the email:
How long are referrals valid?
Once you receive your referral, you'll have 30 days to redeem your offer (by entering your name and email address into the referral system). After you've redeemed your offer, you have 30 days to: (1) buy a phone or SIM card and activate on a postpaid rate plan; and (2) log back into the referral system and provide your mobile phone number. You can find the link to enter your phone number in the confirmation email you received after redeeming your offer.

Thank you.

Aug 29

to me 
Hi Mark,

Please be informed that the promotional offer has been posted on the exact date of the promotion. 

Unfortunately, your activation date did not qualify for this Bonus. We can confirm that the email you've received is about claiming the offer sent by your friend. Please note that claiming referral offer is different from account activation.

Mark
Aug 29

to Koodo 
Can you please read your note about 30 days? Is it my comprehension or Koodo that's faulty here?

Aug 30

to me 
Hi Mark,

Please be informed that the promotional offer has been posted on the exact date of the promotion. 

As you can see, the 30 days pertains to redeeming the referral offer. The information you've provided is all about the referral process. The referral process is beyond from promotional requirements which offers customers additional $25 bonus if the referee activated within the required time frame.

Again, activation date is different from claiming the referral offer or registration. The second $25 Bonus was given to those customers who meets the requirements.  

Mark
Aug 30

to Koodo 
Can you then please provide me the link to the promotional offer you're referring, outlining the dates specifically? All I have seen are the email communications from you detailing the offer of $50 referral if I accept the offer and complete my activation within the 30 days of accepting the offer. Nothing else.
As i said, it could be an internal memo for all I know as this date limitation/stipulation was never communicated to me. 
I have additional email clearly stating I will be receiving $50 referral bonus if I sign up within 30 days. It did not say by June 5 to which you're stipulating. 
I need you to forward this to your manangement as I was never informed of date I needed to activate by in order to get $50.

You should have communicated that to me.

Mark
Aug 30

Aug 30

to me 
Hi Mark,

Please be informed that the 2nd $25 Bonus offer was posted on the main page of the referral website during the promotional period.  

We highly recommend that all participants read the Program Terms & Conditions on the program website to ensure that you can earn according to the program's requirements.

Sincerely, 

On Wed, 30 Aug at 10:14 AM , Mark.V. <mark.V.@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you then please provide me the link to the promotional offer you're referring, outlining the dates specifically? All I have seen are the email communications from you detailing the offer of $50 referral if I accept the offer and complete my activation within the 30 days of accepting the offer. Nothing else.
As i said, it could be an internal memo for all I know as this date limitation/stipulation was never communicated to me. 
I have additional email clearly stating I will be receiving $50 referral bonus if I sign up within 30 days. It did not say by June 5 to which you're stipulating. 
I need you to forward this to your manangement as I was never informed of date I needed to activate by in order to get $50.

You should have communicated that to me.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Koodo Mobile Refer-A-Friend <koodomobile@support.sparkrefer.com> wrote:
Hi Mark,

As you can see, the 30 days pertains to redeeming the referral offer. The information you've provided is all about the referral process. The referral process is beyond from promotional requirements which offers customers additional $25 bonus if the referee activated within the required time frame.

Again, activation date is different from claiming the referral offer or registration. The second $25 Bonus was given to those customers who meets the requirements.  

Sincerely, 

On Tue, 29 Aug at 4:15 PM , Mark.V. <mark.V.@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you please read your note about 30 days? Is it my comprehension or Koodo that's faulty here?

Mark

On Aug 29, 2017, at 6:03 PM, Koodo Mobile Refer-A-Friend <koodomobile@support.sparkrefer.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, your activation date did not qualify for this Bonus. We can confirm that the email you've received is about claiming the offer sent by your friend. Please note that claiming referral offer is different from account activation.

Sincerely, 

Photo of Mark V.

Mark V.

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are specified dated for the bonus 25. It comes and goes. You need to actually port by whatever the date is to get it. I guess that time it expired June 5.
Photo of Mark V.

Mark V.

I had no email or any posting forwarded to me notifying me of said date. from what i gathered, they pulled the date out of their proverbial butts.

I have asked them to provide me evidence of the date. they never did. All my emails and exchanges with Koodo had nothing stipulated about a "bonus 25" but strictly a $50 credit if I activate with 30 days of email. if there was such a hard end date, why wasn't included in any of the correspondence?

To me that's not fulfilling your own promotional obligations. I am almost tempted to contact the CRTC for this. Its no longer about the $25 but about the frustration of dealing with a dishonest broker.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The promotional dates are usually just on their site "now 50 dollars until x date!"

The date was not just made up. I do think that there was confusion over as the email person explained registration vs porting by date but fine print usually only stays up as long as whatever promotion is ongoing. I see in the correspondence they stated June 5 but I'm guessing you're rather asking for it in writing with fine print or something ?
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 112,704 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think their wording in the Email is making confusion.

I see your E-mail said  " 3. Both you and your friend will get a $50 bill credit."
But, if promo has limited timing, then it should say or it would be better saying  :  3. Both you and your friend will get a $50 bill credit if you activated by x date."
Or : 3. Both you and your friend will get a $25 bill credit. And additional $25 bonus if you activated by x date."
Photo of Mark V.

Mark V.

I completed the referral but did not activate the number until June 10. I never denied it or claimed I activated prior to June 5. My issue is that Koodo arbitrarily decided that any activations after June 5 were no longer eligible for the $50 credit but only $25. They decided not to share it with anyone and not inform their customers who did the referral credit with emails confirming  they'll be getting $50 credit if activating within 30 days. the June 5 stayed with Koodo as some sort of an internal memo.

its a shame they're asking customers to use this community portal to resolve the issues but none of their staff are reading ( or responding to their customer's genuine concerns.)

As for contacting them again and hoping to speak to a more empathetic CSR, I would have more success getting blood from a stone.  Frankly, I've wasted too much time on this. Once my tab will complete or when I pay it off, I will look elsewhere for my services.  With the new legislation forcing them to remove locks on phones, i will simply take my business elsewhere once Dec hits.

Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 28,394 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Mark,

We run Refer-a-friend promotions multiple times throughout the year, and the most up-to-date details are always on the website, in terms of which offer is currently in-market, rules, terms and conditions. In your case, the invite was sent to you during the time of promotion (which began on May 10, and it looks like you accepted the invite on May 15). However, the credit you earn depends on when you actually activate your account. In your case, you activated your line on June 10, and the promotion indeed ended on June 5th. When you came back to the website to input your new phone number, to complete the referral, it would have showed details for the in-market offer at that time - $25 - and you would have also received confirmation that you had successfully completed the process. You would have also received an approval email once the submission was approved, confirming the amount of the credit you earned. 

With regards to the 30-day time frame, once you unlock your referral invite, you have 30 days to activate before the invite expires. The value of the credit you earn is always dependent on the offer in-market at the time of your activation, as mentioned above. The rules/terms on the website clearly outline this s well - that would be the fine print you requested, which would be viewable by clicking the links at the bottom of the email.

Although you wouldn't qualify for the bonus credits based on the time of your activation, you can continue earning referral credits by inviting friends and family to Koodo. You can actually earn up to $300/calendar year through this program.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit further. 
Photo of Mark V.

Mark V.

Just like Mayumi suggested, why didn't the email say the following:
if promo has limited timing, then it should say or it would be better saying  :  3. Both you and your friend will get a $50 bill credit if you activated by x date."

No one provided me with a screenshot or any proof of sort on the expiry date of the promo nor was it identified in the emails I received when I accepted the referral. As for your point in the fine print , the only mention I found  was regarding the 30 days to activate the number from the date you accept the referral.
Anyway, I am not happy and i feel I am getting weasel speak. the correspondence I received clearly stated I will be getting $50 referral and so did my friend. 

Anyway, enough time has been wasted on this and all I got was frustration.
 I will make sure my friends are aware of these policies before they refer anyone to Koodo.

Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 112,704 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
When they have a Refer a friend promo, they usually show "Offer valid from X date to Y date" or "Offer end Z date" on their website, FB and Referral page(I believe).

If I received an email like you posted , then I would expect I get $50 if I activated within 30days even tho website said offer end Jun 5th.
My point was that Email confused people, so they should change the wording better.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark V.

Mark V.

Thanks for the screenshot. Issue is that I was the one being referred. I never looked at their website promos and I never got the email stating I had until June 5 to activate. Bottom line, piss poor communication from Koodo and even worse that they won't own up to it.  Like I said, I will be taking my business elsewhere. I rather pay a little more for some honest service.