Is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X compatible?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I'm shopping phones and looking at Koodo as a provider; would the Note 4X be compatible? Here are the supported networks:

2G: GSM B2/3/5/8 CDMA 2000/1X BC0
3G: WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8 TD-SCDMA B34/B39
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B5/B7/B8 TD-LTE B38/B39/B40/B41 ( 2555-2655MHz )
Photo of Eric Niquette

Eric Niquette

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 47,396 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It will work on 3G and LTE-A but it wont work on LTE as that requires Band 4.
Photo of Eric Niquette

Eric Niquette

Gotcha - thank you for the response!
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 100,384 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Eric,

If you want faster answers next time, you can go ahead and check it over here : http://willmyphonework.net

Photo of Vie

Vie

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks! I wish I had known of this site when I bought a Blackberry Curve 9320!
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 79,378 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is it not compatible with Koodo?
Photo of Vie

Vie

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It isn't. :(
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

I'm sorry to hear that. You can try to return it or if you cannot then you can sell it at least and hopefully make your money back. Also IMO if you really want a BB I'd grab a BB10 phone of any kind instead as they're leaps and bounds ahead in capability compared to BBOS phones.
(Edited)
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
Hello Eric, 

I have redmi 4x and not able to make calls. How to setup the same with 3G network?

Please help me out. 

Thank you

- Jesal
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 47,084 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Are you getting any service? Can you only not make calls? Can you recieve calls or call your voicemail?
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 55,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There is no published manual for your phone. On typical Android 6 devices, you should check Settings for Mobile Networks and specify GSM / WCDMA in Network modes.

You should also reboot the phone after making this change. Send yourself a text to verify connectivity all round.

If that doesn't work, you should visit a Koodo boutique and try the phone with a functional store SIM to rule that out as a problem.
Photo of Eric Niquette

Eric Niquette

Hello all. I did end up buying the Note 4x for myself and my wife and we're both getting great signal/service with no major issues. The only problem is that we can't set the device's local to Canada and therefore can't download the Koodoo app. Otherwise both devices are working great, including voicemail.

Edit: And calls, of course. Pretty much everything is working flawlessly. The only other issue I've ran into is with Netflix and all I had to do is install the APK from their website rather than from the Play store. I very much do recommend the the device, but get a screen protector. The glass scratches very easily.
(Edited)
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

The Koodo app has been discontinued. You can add it as a bookmark on your home screen.
You can view instructions here:
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/usin...
Photo of Eric Niquette

Eric Niquette

Ah, good to know! Cheers, Allan!
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
Hi, 

I am getting signal and able to use the mobile data. It shows all the signals. 
Also tried to change to 3G but with 3G it says no service. While with 4G it shows Koddo 4G but no calls go through. 

I would be visiting the store for sure, but thought if there is any setting which can be done to resolve quickly myself. 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Xiaomi's phones pretty universally have quad band 3G. I suppose it's possible that you got a specific sub model missing 850/1900mhz? Where did you get it from? Check the website for bands and see if it shows 850 or 1900mhz for 3G.
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
I got it from India and trying use here in Canada. 
For configuration - 
http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_(4x)-8608.php

Let me know if any other way to check it. Also, does kodoo have 3G connectivity everywhere? Any way to check if there is 3G network issue near the location?
Photo of Eric Niquette

Eric Niquette

I got the International version which may differ from your model. I did not have to configure it.
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
I think your was a redmi note 4X and this one is Redmi 4X not sure both are same? 
Below is the link for configuration. 
http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_(4x)-8608.php
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

You can check this website to see what towers are close to you. If you click on the marker it will tell you what frequecies the tower is using.
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
Also, I tried to see if that is international version. It has the language and location option except canada. So i think this is a international version. 

The china version has only 2 language and location options. 
That is what i found on googling to conclude this is a international version. 
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
The page only shows 4G towers and no 3G towers. 
http://choosehappy.koodomobile.com/network?INTCMP=KMNew_ChooseHappy_OurNetwork_CompareCoverage

Is there any otherway to check the coverage?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Hmm it's possible an Indian version of the phone could be missing the bands. Try looking specifically for the submodel of your phone.

Also "4G HSPA+" is 3G. If you have 4G data coverage you will almost certainly have 3G as well.
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
I get all the towers when i select either 4G or 3G. With 4G i get mobile data but no calls,
With 3g don't get Data as well as call. 
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
Anyways Thank you all for the information, seems like need to take it to shop and check it would work or not. 

Otherwise it will be 200 CAD toy :). 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Koodo hasn't launched VoLTE so no voice on 4G is normal. You could put the sim in another phone where you are located to see if the problem follows but it sound like your particular model is unfortunately a mini tablet until VoLTE launches.

Check the box or in settings for your exact phone model and search for that for bands it has.
Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
I have checked if it works with other phone and sim is working with other phone. Also, checked if other working sim works with redmi 4X and no that is not working. 

So problem is with phone or some settings will be helpful to resolve. Lets see i can get it resolved at store or will wait for VoLTE or change operator. 
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 100,384 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I doubt it's related to some settings. I think it's, as Goran said, a problem with the bands.
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello folks, I too am looking at this phone: Redmi Note 4x: (International version)

International:

2G: GSM B2/3/5/8 CDMA 2000/1X BC0
3G: WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8 TD-SCDMA B34/B39

4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B5/B7/B8 TD-LTEB38/B39/B40/B41(2555-2655MHz)

Will I experience issues with either calls, browsing speed etc.?

thanks,
Mike
Photo of avp .

avp .

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm looking @ the 4X too, and don't fully understand the responses (forgive my ignorance). IE, what does "It will work on 3G and LTE-A but it wont work on LTE as that requires Band 4" mean, exactly?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 81,428 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It means the phone does not have all the radio frequencies Koodo uses, and will not work in many locations as designed, but will fall back to slower (3G) speeds where LTE-A frequencies are not available.  Most LTE in Canada is on Band 4.
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

I've looked further.

I believe it means that this particular phone (Xiaomi Note 4x: International Version) doesn't support LTE 1700/2100 frequencies (otherwise known as Band 4).  

As Telus (Koodo) users, we need Band 4 for greater coverage.   That phone will still work, but will behave slower in non-major cities.

This phone supports LTE-A (Advanced), not Band 4. 
Only certain major cities support LTE-A, whereas most anywhere else support Band 4.  
http://choosehappy.koodomobile.com/network?INTCMP=KMNew_ChooseHappy_OurNetwork_CompareCoverage

This really may not be a big deal, the phone is usable, albeit just may stream music, or watch youtube slower than a phone that supports that Band 4.   You can still check mail, browse etc., just don't expect to stream things things very quickly. 

Xiaomi Note 4x does come in a 'Global' version.  But apparently they are sold out @ a few places.   If you can source the 'Global' version, it does support Band 4. 

So - Global version - great. 
International version - so,so...depends what parts of your province you travel, or what you do with your phone. 
------------------------------------------------
Having said all this - I am beginning to be reluctant in purchasing something over $200 Cdn. from an international source, when you really don't know when the product will arrive, or how much the duty will be. (dhl/fedex,etc.etc.?)  
It could be months.   
Also, how exactly are you going to handle warranty issues? Chances are, it won't have a warranty that can be effectively honored.  Yeah - I don't think buying chinese equipment overseas is for me, not unless it's a phone case or something less than $20.

I'm leaning towards Motorola products.  I'll pay more but at least get the product in reasonable time, with a full warranty and place to send it to, if something happens. 

I basically need a phone with more internal storage. I currently have a Motorola Moto G3 (less than 4gb usable internal storage is sad).  I'm more often than not deleting apps. in order to even update existing ones.    Even with an sd card, apparently I can't move more apps over, some just won't allow it. 

Photo of Jesal

Jesal

• 70 Points
For me Redmi 4X in Halifax, NS it is not working. Not on 2G, 3G or 4G. Data works but calls don't go through. I am hoping if VoLTE starts it might work... But for now.. of no use. 
Photo of avp .

avp .

thanks so much for the response MIKE P!! 

i was looking @ the Note 4X as an alternative to the MOTO g5 Plus, but if i have to get the 'global edition' that negates a chunk of the cost savings.

i live in downtown TO, so the lack band 4 might not affect me too much though?
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

GTA shouldn't be an issue at all.  According to that map, LTE-A has coverage there. 
If you take a trip up north to Tobermory or something, you'd be dropping to 3G frequencies (less fast).  But does it really matter? Maybe not - depending on how much video or music streaming you do.   
Then again, who knows what we'll use our phones for a year from now....may as well play it safe and get the Global if possible. 

I did notice the 'Global' version does carry a premium now, which is crappy. 

It's up to you if you want to take a chance.
That Moto G5 Plus will be pricier, but at least there's a warranty.  Whether or not Motorola (now Lenova) are good to you, is anyone's guess.  

I'm not much of a gambler so I'm preferring to play it safe.  I can't imagine waiting 40-60+ days for something, only to find out it has a glitch or something.  
Most of the time you'd likely be fine though - but it's worth mentioning.   You might even get away with paying no duty - it's a gamble. 

My thoughts: The big + to the Xiaomi is the bigger battery and 1 extra gb of ram, which doesn't really mattery to me, but is a nice future proofing I suppose.   The space is the same 32gb, the cpu is the same (snapdragon 625).  S
Moto G5 Plus - slightly better camera they say and quicker charging I think, which is nice to have.   
I think if you used Google Maps alot during driving etc., that's where the longer runtime would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker. 
Photo of avp .

avp .

someone on another forum said this should work well with koodo?

Global Version Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 International Edition Mobile Phone Snapdragon625 Octa Core 3GB RAM 32GB ROM CE Support B8 B20
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Special-Edition-Mobile-Phone-3...
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

That title is confusing: 
It says both 'Global' and 'International'.....you'd need to check the specs.

Look for Frequencies or something like that.  Many will be listed.  You're looking for Band 4.  
If it has 'Band 4 (1700/2100 frequencies) listed, that means it's the 'Global' version. people talk about. 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

I've come to prefer Xiaomi over Motorola. There's been warranty horror stories for them attributing everything to user damage and I'm none too pleased with that. Xiaomi updates their phones much more rapidly than Motorola and the price is hard to beat. I'd get a good case and screen protector to help keep it safe since the downside is harder to find repairs but if it's well protected then it's fine.

2600mhz LTE-A covers most of southern Ontario now and the footprint isn't much smaller than regular LTE these days.

You could opt for a mi a1 for stock android and all major NA LTE bands. It does cost closer to 270-300 though it is of a more premium design as well as better cameras with 4/64gb memory as default to help soften the 100 dollar premium from the 3/32gb 200 dollar note 4s.
Photo of avp .

avp .

okay, so according to the specs here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Special-Edition-Mobile-Phone-3GB-RAM-32...

this should work, as it lists "2100" under 4G/LTE? 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Aws band 4 specifically requires 1700 AND 2100 to operate so sadly no. Also in Canada 850/1900 is available not 900/2100 so even with repurposed 3g bands it won't work out unfortunately.
Photo of avp .

avp .

fiddlesticks.

so this phone will have the same issues as stated above, re only working on LTE A?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Pretty much. I'd spend the extra 70-80 on this:
https://m.geekbuying.com/item/Global-...
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

I think it's a gamble any way you slice it.

While I have been disappointed in my Motorola Moto G3 not getting timely, if any updates, due to Lenovo taking over, for the most part it's a decent phone, except for lack of internal space.

I've ordered from 'G...Best' before, but only for inexpensive accessories.  Everything arrived, perhaps ~ 6+ weeks later.  

The warranty issue, if it happens, is where one option may appeal more than another option.    
Do I take a risk and spend $2-250 on a chinese phone that may work for me, yet if it doesn't - am I up the proverbial s--t creek without a paddle?  
Or, would Lenovo treat me like garbage if I had an issue with their Motorola phone, I don't know...  

Good luck - let us know what you decide.
Photo of avp .

avp .

Hi everyone, I bought the Redmi Note 4X Global Edition and so far it seems to be working great on koodo. I've been getting consistent 4G speed, although I live downtown and have yet to see what data reception will be like outside of Toronto.

Thanks everyone for your help.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

Congrats on the purchase.
How did you get the phone so fast, was this a Kijiji purchase?

I ended up buying a certified pre-owned Moto G5 Plus (4gb / 64 gb).
Hopefully it lasts me a good while
Photo of avp .

avp .

i was going to go with the G5 Plus, but I decided to go with the Note4X instead. I got a deal on kijiji (190) vs 350+tax for the moto, but i also liked the bigger screen.

i will miss the near stock android of moto though. the xiaomi android skin sucks. i'm using a nova launcher for the first time because of that.
Photo of Mike P

Mike P

Well that's a heck of a deal.

I didn't even think of looking on Kijiji. Was that from local individual seller, or a company?

Yes, we may have been looking at the same G5 Plus Best buy dot ca, price for $350(tax included.) certified pre-owned.
(Edited)
Photo of avp .

avp .

It was an individual who was selling because he bought a maze alpha.

I found a G5plus on the US bestbuy for about 260 Canadian. My sister lives in New Hampshire so I almost went that route.