Is anyone else having problems with their Whats App update?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I keep getting prompted to update Whats App, so I bit the bullet! I have tried so many different ways but keep getting the same message. 'Insufficient Storage'

WTF?! I just paid to have Whats App service for the next 5 years and now this? I tried forums related to the actual app but it looks like nothing is being done on their end.

I also tried downloading another app and noticed that the same error (919) messages pop up. Apparently with 35MB of space I still cannot download anything!
Photo of Taiyewo Adebisi

Taiyewo Adebisi

• 786 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 204,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What phone do You have

Android Gets finicku when the Storage Goes Low like That. Try uninstalling some lesser used Apps or uninstall whatsapp and reinstall it.

If you can, try moving apps to the SD card.
Photo of Taiyewo Adebisi

Taiyewo Adebisi

Tried that and have been getting error messages regarding re-downloading apps. and I also can't move most of my apps, so that's a no go.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace.
Photo of Curtules

Curtules

• 19,666 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
919 error?

I've done some research on this in the past, and one piece of advice that kept coming up is to have available memory that's at least twice the size of the update you're performing.

Like Chad said try and clear up some memory and it should be fine.
Photo of Taiyewo Adebisi

Taiyewo Adebisi

Did that just now. Deleted 4 apps. Still nothing. Any other advice?
Photo of Curtules

Curtules

How much memory is available after deleting said apps? The Galaxy Ace has this memory quirk were if you delete stuff the available memory doesn't change at all, or not as much as the size of the app or whatever you deleted.

I call it "ghost data."

The only other thing I've found is, if all else fails, factory reset the device.
Photo of Taiyewo Adebisi

Taiyewo Adebisi

What exactly is a 'factory reset' ?

I keep seeing that term thrown around with no explanation on how it's done.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

A a factory reset restores your device to the condition it was in when you first got it.
Photo of Curtules

Curtules

Factory reset is essentially returning the phone to it's factory settings. Wiping everything.

On a Galaxy Ace you can do this by going to Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset.

This will wipe your contacts so I recommend sending them to your SD card first. To do this you can go to Contacts > hit the menu button (bottom left, below the screen) > Import/Export > Export to SD Card.
Photo of Taiyewo Adebisi

Taiyewo Adebisi

If my device is restored to its original state how will I be able to re-download anything when I keep getting error messages?

I'm sorry to be a pest, but I'm totally confused. I seem to have very limited luck with electronics.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

You "likely" won't get the message to begin with but if you fill your memory again, you will.

In all honestly you should really consider an upgrade to a better device if you can swing it.

Koodo just release the Nokia Lumia 635 and it is a real winner in the satisfy your mobile cravings department. It's cute and fun to use. Or if you want to stick with android there is always the Moto G. Each is 0$ on tab small right now. And each is a marked improvement on what you're using.
Photo of Taiyewo Adebisi

Taiyewo Adebisi

Thanks for your help and patience Chad! I think I'll definitely be phone shopping in the next few weeks.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Whatever your decision, do not buy a galaxy ace iix. I'm warning you with peace and love that you will not be happy with it.

They don't offer it online but it may still be available in stores and kiosks.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.