Documents required of international students when buying a sim card?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Can you tell me what are the documents required by international students to be issued a SIM card. I already have an unlocked phone.
Photo of Subhan Hameed

Subhan Hameed

  • 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Curtules


  • 19,666 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That depends on whether you want a monthly plan or prepaid service.

On prepaid, you buy the SIM, activate, that's it that's all. No documents required.

With a monthly plan you'll need something to do a credit check. If you have a Canadian credit card already that'll work, I assume you probably don't have a driver's license or a Social Insurance Number being an international student, but I've seen accounts activated in store using a passport number.
Photo of Camilo_A


  • 31,746 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi there... You can approach the store with your Passport and Landing papers, then you will see if you are eligible to have the services, and if you are going to open a Bank account in Canada, you may inquiry with Scotia Bank for the StartRight program.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.