Inexpensive way to get an iPad PRO to access the internet

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hello, I am on a $55/month 3GB unlimited Canada calls monthly plan. I plan to buy an iPad PRO to access the internet on public transportation as my iPhone's screen is too small. What is the best and cheapest way to do so? Leave the sim card on my iPhone 6s+ and share the internet access with iPad Pro? Perhaps get another data sim card, for free or at a very low cost? Any other way?
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

• 1,020 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you don't need more data than is on your phones plan then connecting the iPad to it through a created hotspot would be the cheapest way.
Koodo also doesn't have data only plans or tablet addon plans so you'd have to go elsewhere to get a plan for the tablet specifically
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,152 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Koodo's parent, Telus offers share plans which allow your Tablet SIM to share your pooled (Telus) data plan. They also offer tablet-only plans either with fixed data allotments, or one that expands as your data consumption increases.

Just be aware that the iPad Pro may use more data for the same tasks as your iPhone, as the phone receives optimized (smaller) data pages. 
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 69,694 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The bigger the screen, the more data consumed for the same functions, generally. If you plan to use tablet data extensively, follow David's advice.
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

So a 10.5" iPad PRO will consume more data than a 12.9" iPad PRO? How come? For example, displaying the same website on both devices require the same amount of data from the internet. The screen size difference only makes the contents bigger and easier for the eyes.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

No its only if your changing from mobile view to a tablet view or desktop view the actual size of each screen doesn't affect the data consumption.
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

Thanks.

I have not bought the iPad yet. I am still confused about the idea that bigger screen consumes more data. What is the reason?

Which view mode should I use if I don't want bigger screen consumes more data.

By how many percent more data will it consume if I via the websites using hotspot from iPhone 6s+ to iPad PRO vs. viewing the same websites from my iPhone?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

The tablet will use more data because it's an iPad which apple actually puts more information on the screen in their apps that optimize the size of the screen. Now android tablets still display a mobile version so it's exactly the same as using your phone by default unless you choose to view webpages in desktop view. You can also choose to view web pages as a desktop view on Android phones as well, but again apps on Android are the same whether you use a tablet or phone.

Desktop view means it's displaying webpages just like they would display on your computer or laptop with the full webpages and all the extended ads ect.

How much more data I'm personally not sure but it does widely depend on the websites you visit.
(Edited)
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

For using hotespot, do I need to use the Wifi+Cellular version or the Wifi version of iPad PRO is good enough? The difference in prices between the two devices is about $200.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

The wifi is all you need as the hotspot is created by the phone and then the tablet just connects to it just like any other wifi connection such as your home router or a router in a business ect

BobTheElectrician

Spending the extra $200 to add the cellular feature lets you use a separate SIM directly in the tablet rather than working through a hotspot. You then must have a tablet-oriented data plan from some provider, and yet another one for the SIM in your phone to handle calls and SMS.

BobTheElectrician

Spending the extra $200 to add the cellular feature lets you use a separate SIM directly in the tablet rather than working through a hotspot. You then must have a tablet-oriented data plan from some provider, and yet another one for the SIM in your phone to handle calls and SMS.
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

So, I should check out Telus's plans before making a decision on which path to go?

These days, I use about 1GB out of the 3GB available for my plan.
(Edited)
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

Does koodo charge me extra if I use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot for the iPad PRO?
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 24,248 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can use the data in your plan any way you like. You will be charged if you exceed your plan.

Fido offers a 3GB tablet plan for $15 which I hear is a great deal. Fine print says you need a mobile plan to be able to get this offer though. A call to them wouldn't hurt.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,434 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Virgin offers it as well currently. I personally wouldn't go to Telus as the rate plans themselves are quite a bit more expensive and not worth it to have 1gb for 5 bucks or 10 otherwise. Either Hotspot or if you really need it you can get one if the 3gb for 15 dollar ones for your iPad, should you opt for the sim equipped version.
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

Hi Mats, I cannot find the 3GB tablet plan for $15. Could you please provide the link? How about Bell's pay as you use plan? Still kind of more expensive than my current Koodo plan.
(Edited)
Photo of newkoodouser

newkoodouser

Hello, any update on good plan in Ontario? Trying to decide whether to buy the WiFi version and connect it to the net via my iPhone or get the LTE version.
I checked with a store the other day. The sales did not seem to know what he was talking about. He had to ask another sales who was busy with another customer. They said something like pay a one time fee of $20 to get a sim card for my iPad PRO. Then, the 3G/month can be shared by both iPhone and iPad. They also said that they cannot guarantee that it will work. Can anybody confirm their statements. Customer services of those two guys were quite bad. The other customer also looked at them.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 92,912 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The proposal you describe will work with a Telus account, but not a Koodo account. Koodo does not offer shared plans, which the sales clerk suggested you use. The previous suggestions in this thread will work with Koodo.