I will be out of the country for 4 months. What are my options to suspend or do I have to cancel to avoid charges?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of phil


  • 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can:

1. contact customer service and put your account on seasonal hold for $15 a month. Your tab payments and number will be continued on a monthly basis, though you will have no service. When you return, you will have to choose from the then currently-available plans. Your current one may/may not be available.

2. If your number is precious to you and you don't want to go on seasonal hold, port your number out to a VoIP service. Your calls can then be handled over the internet or forwarded to your temporary cell at reasonable rates. This will close out your Koodo account: you will have to settle any outstanding tab and balance in one final bill. When you return, you will have to start a new account/supplier all over again for your cell phone.

3. If you don't care about the number or lack of service in Canada, simply close your account. Same comments about tab & final bill apply. If you are gone for less than 90 days, you can usually retrieve the same number with Koodo and re-start service.

If you are regularly out of the country and deal mainly with voice calls, option 2 is better: keep your current number on the VoIP service permanently and get your calls forwarded to whatever is your current cell number.