i want to add music to my phone but my computer won't read my phone. is it because of the computer or the phone?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • mad

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,584 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What phone do you have? And how new is it?
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

I have samsung grand prime. i had it for two years now. i was able to add music to my phone before and now i can't. is it time to upgrade? and how would i know if my contract is up?
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,122 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You should be able to access the phone by connecting it to a computer with a USB cable, and accessing it through File Explorer on your PC.

You may need to drag the Status Bar down to display the Notification panel.
  1. screenshot of notifications panel
  • You will see either Connected as a media device or Connected as a camera. The files on your phone can now be accessed via your computer.
  • For most transfers, you will want to use Connected as a media device.
  • To change the option, tap the notification in the Notification panel to open the USB computer connection window, and then tap the desired option. 
  1. On your computer, navigate to the detected device (such as through the My Computer menu) and open it.
  2. Select Phone for internal phone storage.
  3. Select a folder (for example, Music for songs and albums) and copy files to it from your computer.
  4. When you are done, disconnect your phone from your computer.
  • The transferred files are now saved to your phone.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

I am having trouble figuring that out. I have the samsung grand prime and i don't see those options
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

What error do you get on your PC?
What do you see on your phone?

The first step above requires you swipe down from the top of your phone screen to get the notification screen.
(Edited)
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

Where it's sapose to say Connected as a media device, my phone doesn't show me that. that is the problem i am having with my phone!
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

Photo of Lisa

Lisa

That is what my screen is showing me. I don't see Connected as a media device when i pull the notifications down.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 65,576 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you using the cord that came with the phone or are you using a different one? It could be possible that the cord doesn't support data transfer. When you plug the phone into the computer do you get any notifications on the computer?
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

Are you using the cord that came with the phone or are you using a different one? It could be possible that the cord doesn't support data transfer. When you plug the phone into the computer do you get any notifications on the computer?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Tap on the 'Cable Charging' box, and the other options should appear. It will all ow you to switch your USB port from Charging to Media Transfer, and you should be good to go.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Don't forget to switch it back once you are done.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

I used the cord that came with the computer and it did the same thing. I did that and got nothing

Photo of Lisa

Lisa

Photo of Lisa

Lisa

That's all i get
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

And no i get nothing shown on the computer

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

You took the most recent screen shot with the phone connected to the computer? The links I spoke of won't show unless connected.

Then all I can suggest is to do a Web Search on the term: "Load Music on Samsung Galaxy Grand  Prime", and see if one of the sites listed in that search can provide more detail.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

Yes. That is my phone connected to the computer. I don't know why it isn't working anymore. It used to until this happened
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

Is there another way i can fix it?
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

Can you try a different USB port on your computer? Try as many as possible and see if it works? Also try using another USB device and see if that works on your computer.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

I did that too and it doesn't work either. I don't know what else to do!
(Edited)
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

I plug a iPod in and the computer reads it but it won't read my phone
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,990 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Disconnect your phone and install Samsung Smart Switch on your computer, (link below). The software includes USB drivers specific to your device. After Smart Switch has finished installing, restart your computer. Wait for your computer to finish booting, then reconnect your phone via USB. Windows should now 'see' your phone.

If the phone is still undetectable, then I would suspect a faulty USB cable. If you still have the original USB cable that came with your phone, try that instead. The USB port on your computer doesn't appear to be the problem because your computer is able to 'see' your iPod and it shows that your phone is charging when using that port.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/sma...
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,324 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@ rikkster: shouldn't the connection of the phone to the computer prompt for the installation of Smart Switch if it is needed?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

I believe I saw mention of Smart Switch during initial setup of my S5 Neo. Chose to ignore it. From what I understand, this installs software that allows you to transfer data from an old device to a new Samsung device, wirelessly or via USB cable. The standalone software has to be downloaded/installed manually, or at least that's been my experience.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

So should i download SmartSwitch onto my computer then?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes see if that will do it. Let us know what happens please.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa

It didn't help. My computer still won't see my phone. I don't know what happened. This never happened until recently. How come? And is it time for a new phone then??
(Edited)
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Given the age of the phone, you may want to look for something new. It’s possible there may be an issue with the phones’ micro usb/charging port. Sadly, electronics don’t last forever. The usb port is one the most-used components on a smartphone and over time, may fail with little or no warning. I think you will be happier upgrading to a newer more reliable phone.

To answer your other question about wanting to know when your contract is up; since you've had the phone for two years, you should be all paid off. I believe you can verify this by logging into self serve and checking your tab balance. If it shows a zero figure, then the phone is paid off.