I changed my plan so will the $200 over my other data plan go away ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I had a plan and I went over my data by $200 and I just changed my plan online so have more data. So now will the $200 go away or do I have to pay that?
Photo of carrie

carrie

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,490 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately unlike in the wired world, no that will not protect you against unforseen overages an you will be prorated as well for whenever you switched over during the billing cycle. However I think I understand you saying you got a bill already so if you're in the new billing cycle and THEN you got more data, then no matter what you're responsible fo the previous bill total. Depending on the circumstances you could try to call 611 to get a leniency reduction in your bill amount but there's no guarantees of course.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,560 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Carrie, looking at your account we have sent a number of notifications about your data use (all the way back to July) to keep you informed and help you make some decisions. The new plan you switched to has significantly more data, so going forward things should be smoother. 
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Carrie,

The CRTC wireless code states that once you reach 50$ of overage in data, you get a notification from Koodo and you must approve to get more data. Koodo does comply to this and you would of gotten a notificaition and you would of had to approve of more data overage charges. Because of this, I highly doubt Koodo will let you pay any less than what was billed to you. Just like Goran said, just because you changed your plan does not mean that you will loose the charges as they are billed seperately. Unfortunately for you , there isn`t much you can do except pay the bill. 
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Pay close attention to your current data allowance as you may get a pro-rated allowance based on when you switched.

For example, if you switched from a 1 GB plan to a 5 GB plan half-way through your billing cycle, you get a pro-rated bill which will include the first 15 days at your old rate (meaning if you went over 0.5 GB in the first 15 days, you will get charged overage), and the last 15 days of the new allowance (meaning that you only have 2.5 GB available to you until the rest of the billing cycle).
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 88,974 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Daniel corrected a couple of us a few weeks ago, stating that data is not pro-rated. Can this be clarified?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Completely forgot about that. Sounds clear to me although still weird. Data . Not prorated but any overages occurred u to that point will still be charged as if you didn't upgraded it. Still not a fan of that as wired world overages disappear with an upgrade.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hmm, missed that. Thanks for the catch dfbutt.

However, the first part of what I said (re. initial overages) is correct.