I can't call out, not even voicemail or 611...also experiencing frequent dropped calls.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have an iphone 4s. Recently I have had issues with signal strength and most calls get dropped. Often have no bars of signal. This was not an issue before switching to this new phone.

I have also noticed over the past few days that I am unable to make any outgoing calls. I am not even able to call 611 or check my voicemail. I dont get any recording...It just immediately terminates the call before it goes through.

Any ideas what the issue is and how it can be resolved?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Photo of Casey Haley

Casey Haley

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,858 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are you living in an area where the coverage is not at its best? Look it up here http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-...
Photo of Casey Haley

Casey Haley

Thanks Robert. I am in a rural area with less than optimal service strength. I have noticed a significant drop since upgrading my phone though.I will wait and see if rebooting my phone helped.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 89,410 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Phones have antennas of differing quality, and received signal strength. It is possible, or even likely that this difference is at least in part what you are experiencing. Out of curiosity, what was your previous phone?

Also, what happens when you go to an area with stronger signal strength?
Photo of Casey Haley

Casey Haley

dfbutt, My previous phone was a cheap alcatel I bought from koodo. It was a crappy phone but got better signal on in my area. I would have expected that a better phone=better quality antenna.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 91,212 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not necessarily the case. It's also dependent on the manufacturer. It could be done as a cost savings measure or not seen as a priority to ensure top connection quality. Some companies like Motorola or BlackBerry will have the best overall call qualities because of experience or making it an important consideration of phone design.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Try holding the power button and the home button at the same time until you see the apple logo, sometimes it can help reset the network on your phone, but not guaranteed to work.
Photo of Casey Haley

Casey Haley

Thanks Chadwick. I rebooted as you explained and was able to make outgoing calls afterward. Unknown yet if it will help the dropped call issue.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,104 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To add; try resetting the phones' network settings, go to: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings - tap Reset Network Settings. This procedure erases saved Wi-Fi network passwords and custom APN settings, (if applicable).

Some additional tips
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201415

Check if the iPhone is set to LTE. If it is, try dropping to 3G and see if signal improves. Go to: Settings - tap Cellular/Mobile - tap Voice & Data. Enable 3G if LTE is selected.
Photo of Casey Haley

Casey Haley

Thanks rikster. I reset network settings and although I still have 1 bar of signal I immediately received several picture messages that were sent to me yesterday and never arrived. 
My phone was already set to 3G.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.