I can’t find text only add on to US. 100 SMS for $5. Is it still available?

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
Photo of Dorothy Verschuren Tennant

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 142,506 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
That would be the pay per use rate, it isn't an add on. As long as you don't have the easy roam add on on your account, that's the rate you'll pay.
(Edited)
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 67,236 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The first text is $5, then the next 99 until your billing date are free. Rinse and repeat.
Wow! So easy. Is there just the time restraint of your billing cycle? How can you track how many you are sending up to 100? I know .... I am a pain!
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,544 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If your billing cycle is the 12th and you send 1 text on the 11th from the US you will be charged $5 for that 1 text. Then if you send another text when your billing cycle starts again you will be charged $5 but have 99 more texts to send till your billing cycle ends again. You should be able to track your texts through self serve.

They should just charge $5 per 100 texts instead of by your billing cycle because depending on when you are in the US you could be dinged twice.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

That's the only restriction. The 100 messages only applies to regular text messages, since picture messages require data. Only outgoing messages count against the total as well, incoming messages are free.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Kinda on your device, but there are confounders:
- a text is 160 characters. Longer ones get split into multiple 160 character segments.
- certain special characters, and all emoji count as more than one character.

So, you can guess, based on your usage, but it is difficult to be absolutely certain without checking your account in Self Serve, which may be delayed.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
“They should just charge $5 per 100 texts instead of by your billing cycle because depending on when you are in the US you could be dinged twice.”

Based on my usage, it might be years before I send 100 texts from the USA. At what point would the carrier be reasonably expected to stop trying to tally my usage, and do a reset?
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

30 days from the time the bucket is first used would not be unreasonable.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,544 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@David Yes 30 days would be fair. Im not expecting it to be like prepaid(where you pay for a 100 and you get a 100) if you have a postpaid plan.
Thank-you, Timo!
You guys are brilliant. All my questions answered and explained.
Photo of Linda

Linda

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
So if I just turned my phone on in the US for 7 days just to receive and send texts, I would just expect to pay $5, not anything extra??
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,372 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The $5 is good until the end of your billing cycle. If your billing cycle restarts halfway through your trip then youd have to pay another $5. Also if you went over the 100 outgoing texts you'd have to pay another $5.

You'll also want to make sure you dont have easyroam gon youd account.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,556 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Also make sure your data is turned off.