How to remove easy roam

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I love the idea of easy roam but how does one remove it?

It has US and International easy roam as two separate features and self serve wont let me take them off(guessing because they both need to be cancelled together)
Photo of deniz

deniz

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,516 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It gets added to your add-ons separately as "$7/day US Easy Roam" and "$10/day Easy Roam INTL".
You can simply remove them via manage add-ons on self serve.
Photo of deniz

deniz

Thanks for your answer but that's my question. It's not letting me remove those features.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 94,240 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If it's not letting you remove the feature then you can send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter to get it sorted out. However as I understand it, you only get charged that amount if you use your phone while roaming and it kicks in then.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 29,328 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
[Updated] - feature is NOW removable via Self Serve

Once the feature is added, you won't need the help of a rep to remove it, as it's NOW removable on your own. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,582 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If keeping this add on active all the time, make sure you disable your phone's roaming setting if near a border.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,270 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Or manually choose the Koodo network instead of automatic
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 77,750 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Deniz, I'm curious why you were thinking of having easy roam removed? As per Ranjan above it is a service that simply give you access to its benefits. It cost nothing until it's used. So I'm wondering what made you think that you have to remove it? Thanks for your insights!
Photo of Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The potential for accidentally sending a $10SMS is massive. I'd dearly like to remove the feature myself, which I never would have dreamed of signing up for had I known there was no way to remove it.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

You can remove it Michael. Send us an FB message and it's done. That said, we are working on making it available for online removal as well. In a couple of weeks should be ready. 
Photo of deniz

deniz

Looks like it was missed. But they are very quick and helpful on facebook. -although self serve, or another quick text to remove(just like the way it's added)may be better. How about ADD ROAM and REMOVE ROAM....text to that number. And done.
Photo of Vicki Cunningham

Vicki Cunningham

• 60 Points
Also, you have to remove Easy Roam to add a different travel package with Telus. It's a pain.
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

• 3,652 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Bernard, a month ago, you said Koodo was "working on making it available for online removal" and "in a couple of weeks it should be ready".  Can you update us on this?
Photo of deniz

deniz

There was another (even better) suggestion below by Dennis

maybe have the pay per use rate used until the limit is hit where Easy roam becomes more worth while
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

Delivered as promised. On self serve under your manage add-on section. 
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

Bernard, that's excellent and a really fast response) !  Now, I have Easy Roam disabled and  --while I'm in the US I decide to activate it for a couple of days -- will I be charged the pay-for-use $5 charge for texting the 4 digit code to Koodo?
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

To activate Easy Roam? No.
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

Thanks, Bernard.  Would the other 99 texts I paid for in the pay-as-you-go pkg still be accessible for me to use whenever  I decided to de-activate Easy Roam again? 

I'm exploring how Easy Roam might be used for a long trip (4 months) to the US. I could see myself toggling Easy Roam on and off several times during this time.  I don't NEED easy roam when I am at my Florida place, which has a landline and wifi, but I need voice, text and data when I am travelling there and back and when we take short sightseeing trips. 
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Hi Elinor - the $5/100 text bucket would be available for the bill cycle you activate it within. Therefore, if you use the pay-per-use rate to send some texts, then activate Easy Roam for a few days and later remove the add-on, what's left of the 100 messages would still be available, as long as you're within the same bill cycle.
Hope that helps clarify.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Hi Elinor - the $5/100 text bucket would be available for the bill cycle you activate it within. Therefore, if you use the pay-per-use rate to send some texts, then activate Easy Roam for a few days and later remove the add-on, what's left of the 100 messages would still be available, as long as you're within the same bill cycle.
Hope that helps clarify.
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

Thank you Ranjan. I know how hectic the last few days have been for you guys. I wouldn't have bothered you but am under pressure to figure out what US phone service to buy before I leave Canada . I appreciate your stellar efforts!
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Not a bother at all - everyone here's here to help, no matter how busy it gets :)
Photo of deniz

deniz

Hi the reason I want to remove it is that I dont want to pay $10 for a single text if I only send one text one day.

And in self serve it's says to "contact us" to remove it. I select the option, delete it and get this error
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

You'll need the help of a rep. to remove it Deniz. Shoot us a private message on Facebook and a rep. will get back to verify you as the account owner, and assist in getting it removed. 
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 77,736 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Makes sense. If you are not planning on using your phone when you roam, but for some reason you want to send one or two texts than indeed you are better off without it. We'll talk to the team about the feasibility to make it removable online. Thanks again Deniz! For now, as per Ranjan, if you could send us a private message on FB we'll help you remove it.
(Edited)
Photo of deniz

deniz

Thank you!
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 77,736 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
One last question Deniz....if one knows, like you, that sporadic roaming use may not make it worthwhile to add Easy Roam, why would people do it? What do you think?
Photo of Wes

Wes

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes please have an option to remove it via self serve. The reason being is if I am near the border connected to a US tower, and send a text it will activate the easy roam for even sending a local text and it will charge that $7 on the account. So I would like to have the option to activate it just before travelling and remove it when I get back to Canada.
Photo of deniz

deniz

I would use it for longer trips if I need data and text and calls...but not if Im trying not to use my phone, not if I will only send a text or two when/if I have to.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

Bernard, maybe have the pay per use rate used until the limit is hit where Easy roam becomes more worth while
(Edited)
Photo of q

q

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The only reason people would use this thing is for convenience or if they don't know they can get a SIM Card from the destination. You can get a SIM Card with unlimited calling, text, and data in the US and Canada, and possibly even more countries, for less than what non-MB-SK/QC "residents" pay for 10 GB to use in Canada. That is just ridiculous.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

Usually for MVNO's the price can be significantly cheaper, other than that the regular operators are not that much cheaper.  I personally only care about data while traveling with a local sim as talk and text with an international number is not as valuable.  With Easy roam, however, I would be more inclined to use my regular talk and text since I will not need to share a temporary international number to all my close contacts.

This is my travel prepaid sim bible
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

This is what I love about the Koodo Community -- that the mobile masters don't just push the Koodo add ons but also explain other options so we can pick the service that most meets our needs.  Thanks, Dennis!
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

You're very welcome Elinor <3
Photo of Trevor Topp

Trevor Topp

• 70 Points
Is the 24 hr window from first use of the easy roam feature, or a midnight -to-midnight calendar day window? If it’s the latter, in which time zone is the magic midnight?
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 36,584 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Koodo mentioned "The daily Easy Roam fee is valid for 24 hours, and applies when you make or receive a call and send a text or use data abroad" so it start from the moment you use for 24 hours. That is what I am understanding.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 58,994 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Azure is right! 24 hours from when you first use it.
Photo of Trevor Topp

Trevor Topp

• 70 Points
Sweet
Photo of Max

Max

• 72 Points
I was able to remove International easy roam, but the self serve system tells me "Some Services cannot be removed" when i try to remove the USA easy roam.
Any thoughts?
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

That shouldn't be the case. I am able to remove it from my account. Can you log out and in again and try? Any reason why you want to remove it? You only pay when you use it. Otherwise there is no charge. 
Photo of Elinor

Elinor

Bernard, as indicated in an answer to the same question in another thread, a Koodo customer said he wanted to disable "Easy Roam" when he was near the US border to avoid $7 usage charges when his cell was inCanada but the service was picked up by a US carrier.
Photo of Max

Max

• 72 Points
After waiting a few hours and logging back in, US easy roam disappeared. I do not like to keep it active, seems excessive to pay 7 for one text, and living near the border i can get hit with US cell towers,

Thanks for the quick response!
(Edited)
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,516 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you live near the border you can set your carrier to Koodo only so that you don't connect to US towers.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.