how to buy prepaid booster if i have automatic top-up

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a prepaid text-only plan ($15 for 30days) which is set up for automatic top-up.   I want to purchase the 500 call-minutes booster.    When I select the booster, I get a button that says "top up to purchase the booster".   But, I don't want to top up (as it will do it automatically).   How do I get just the booster?
Photo of KW

KW

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,454 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
"With automatic 30-day top-ups, you leave it to us to automatically top up your account using your registered credit or Visa Debit card, just in time for your base plan renewal."
http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/topping-up-your-account/what-are-automatic-30-day-top-ups
It appears that the top-ups are meant for your base plan. Going by this I'd say you need to top up manually to add a booster. Someone (perhaps Sophia...) who has more experience with prepaid can confirm whether or not you have to manually top-up to have the balance to get a booster.
Photo of KW

KW

Thanks for quick response.

My auto-top-up is scheduled to occur July 15.  The day before, on July 14, if I select the booster, and then click the "top up to buy the booster button" to buy the booster and do a manual top-up (I assume this is what you mean by manual top-up), will the top-up that was scheduled for July15 be moved out to 30 days after July 14?

I guess my question boils down to whether auto-top-ups are 'smartly' scheduled to occur 30 days after the last top-up, whether that top-up was automatic or manual. 

thanks!
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,598 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Boosters and base plan renewals are 100% separate, KW. You can top up at any time and that will NEVER be used for a booster, unless you purchase one deliberately :) You can top up any time you want!

Your base plan will automatically renew if there are enough funds in your account, there is nothing you need to do for that.
(Edited)
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Oh as for your auto top up question, yes they will be scheduled on the day of the renewal... and as you know you will receive 10% back in credit (which you can use in time to buy a booster, if you wish).
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 69,774 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The auto top-ups from your credit card are not "smart". They will robotically happen every time your current 30-day period expires, whether you need it or not in your account.
Photo of KW

KW

Sophia, Bob, thanks for the responses which make things clearer to me. 

I think what I need to do is:  One (or 2) day(s) before the auto top-up is scheduled, I will do a manual top-up with the booster (ie pay for both a top-up and the booster).

But ... just to double check on one thing ...
Sophia,
You wrote "Boosters and base plan renewals are 100% separate".  
Can I purchase a booster by itself if I am registered for auto top-up?
Currently, I think the answer is no, and that I must purchase a booster in combination with a manual top-up.

thanks, KW
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

You can buy the booster today, if you like KW. It will not affect your automatic top up in the slightest.

For example, you'd like to buy the $25 talk booster......

Suppose... you have $10 credit in your account (again, just an example!!!)

So.... you top up $15, now you have $25 (basic math, right?)

And voila, you can use those funds to buy that $25 booster :)

Next time when it is time for renewal of your base plan, your account will auto top up with $15 and it will be used to renew... which is a process entirely separate from your booster purchase

If you still don't understand........... blame it on my terrible explanation skills and feel free to ask :D
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Another example:

If you have no credit in your account and you want to purchase that $25 booster, then yes, you'd have to manually top up the entire $25 and THEN use that to activate your booster.

Edit: so in short, yes, you will have to manually top up to the amount that is needed to buy the booster you want......... unless you want to wait till those 10% bonuses of $1.50 each month add up to the total of $25.

Don't know if I can make it clearer than that :)
(Edited)
Photo of KW

KW

Hi Sophia,
Your examples were good.  I had always associated top-up with renewing the 30-day plan.  I was confused when it said that I needed to "top-up" to buy the booster, thinking they wanted to me to buy another 30-day as well as buy the booster.  Your explanation made me re-think what 'top-up' is ... it is basically a way to put money into my account (top it up) so that I can buy whatever I need.  Normally, I need to top-up to pay for the monthly plan.  But, in this case, I need to top-up to have the funds to buy the booster.
So, I just bought the $25 booster.   I had $8 in my account.  I pressed the "top up to buy the booster" button, and it presented me with a screen that it would be $17 (25-8) + $2.21 tax.  I pressed ok to charge my credit card for $19.21.  Then it presented a good message that the booster purchase is not complete ... I now had $25 in my account, and I needed to press the "go back" button to buy the booster for $25.  It was great that I could use the $8 credit in my account to buy the booster.
Thanks much for your help, KW.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.