How much do texts cost to short numbers such as 88000?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Recently been trying to win some radio giveaways, but they use a short number 88000 to enter their prizes. Does it cost extra to message these numbers, or also to receive messages from these as well?
Photo of Stephen Spanner

Stephen Spanner

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have texted my radio station in the past and never received any extra charges.
Photo of Stephen Spanner

Stephen Spanner

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Excellent. Thank you for your quick reply!
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

No problem.
Photo of Tayeb A

Tayeb A, Employee

• 18,186 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Stephen,

The fact that Chadwick didn't have to pay doesn't necessarily mean that you will not have to, this meanly depends on the third-party that offers the service. You can visit this link: http://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/ for more information about the short codes. You will also find the contact info for the providers of these services and you may contact them to confirm if charges apply.

Thank you Stephen
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

Tayeb, that is such a handy link .Awesome :) Most radio stations are free to text. There are absolutely other numbers that charge. Please don't think I was implying that just BC my radio text was free, that other numbers are as well
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Standard messaging rates apply, so if texting is included in your plan you are golden. Since Koodo is basically all international texting included you are fine to send and receive without paying extra.
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,848 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are some premium numbers that do charge for each text sent to them, these would be premium texts. Usually it is pretty obvious  when there are extra charges when reading fine prints, etc. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.