how can you use 1500 mb in a couple hours when not us in the phone?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
on top of that I live near the USA boarder and most to
times I am home...koodo welcomes me to the US and puts me on roaming, which prevents use of my phone usually but not always.
Photo of Mr. William Johnson

Posted 1 month ago

my phone picks up am American Cell Tower and that is the why, but who can prevent this?
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 16,716 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
In the settings of your phone find mobile network. Set it to manual instead of automatic and select Koodo. This will stop your phone from roaming and stay on Koodo network.
Photo of Joel

Joel

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
As for data usage, go to the settings on your phone. There will be something to tell you which app are using all the data. Can even see background usage. Check to see if you have a gps app etc. Facebook and email are notorious for running in the background. Can't see them using 1.5 gb though.
I used 3 gb once in 2 days listening to Spotify in HD.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 193,472 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's possible.  One time in a group messenger chat a gif got stuck and started continuously re-loading, resulting in all of us using 1gb in an hour.

When you find the offending app, make sure you chaeck the settings to prevent auto loading of images, videos, and gifs.

Just for some further insight for those who come about this post
(Edited)
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,904 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi William,

You could check detail of your data usage in selfserve or your phone data usage report. There could be many reasons for the spike in usage (app updates, accidental android/ios upgrade)

To avoid the accidental roaming, manual selection of your carrier could help (as Mats also suggested above)
(Edited)
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 67,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In some versions of Android, going to your settings for Mobile Data and choosing the three dots for preferences at the top right of the screen will reveal a choice for Restrict Background Data: some apps and services will not be available unless a wifi connection is active. Also in the Mobile Data settings, there should be an option to toggle Data Roaming.
(Edited)