Hidden LD charges even though I have the 1000 intl ld add on

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
I have been checking my billing everytime I make a US call. It says I have the 1000 intl ld minutes and under usage only shows my unlimited air time minutes. Little did I know it was hiding huge charges in the unlimited airtime spot. How is this legal! I am not ok with this. How can I get my bill reduced. I would have paid the 10$ for US calling if it had been transparent and actually showed the charges in my usage. Instead they hid them! I actively looked for the charges as I made the calls, this is on them for hiding the charges instead of showing them in usage. 
Photo of Michelle Coe

Michelle Coe

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Scammed.

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Michelle Coe

Michelle Coe

This is what my usage looks like. Can you tell I have 43$ in air time charges in 4 days!
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,352 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Michelle,
The 1000 international minutes are for few countries only, (India, Germany, China, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Italy, Mexico, Australia & Taiwan). It didn't include US as far as I know.

I agree, the detail of Airtime could be improved, to show the overage, if any.
Photo of Michelle Coe

Michelle Coe

The I religiously checked for extra charges every single time I called US because I'm disabled and can't afford extra charges route is exactly why I'm not paying those charges. I'm calling now that I've been told it won't cost me the 10$ charge for calling them. There are CRTC laws for this. Not saying they are limited countries is illegal. Secondly I haven't found a law specifically for the hidden charges but I'm sure the CRTC would be very interested in that too. None of this situation is acceptable nor should it effect my credit since the law was broken. I have attached the line from the wireless code showing it's illegal. Its literally in the first article. 
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 142,456 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
By all means, feel free to pick your own path. The way I suggested will resolve the situation with a10 minute conversation, but if it makes you feel better to spend hours on the phone, along with potentially weeks or months dealing with the CRTC and the credit bureau it is entirely your right to do so.
Photo of Michelle Coe

Michelle Coe

I'm at and an hour and five minutes on the phone doing it "your way" already so don't belittle me. I didn't even have a representative at until 19 minutes. Feel free to continue to vouch for illegal activities done by large companies though. It looks good on you. 
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 195,954 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Michelle,
No one is belittling you. I understand you feel frustrated since it was unexpected and you felt like you did everything in you power to prevent it.

Just realize that no one is purposely trying to rip you off or to deceive you. Take a breath and come at it from a calm manner and explain things out like Timo mentioned, and you will likely have a good chance of getting this resolved satisfactorily
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 195,954 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Michelle,
No one is belittling you. I understand you feel frustrated since it was unexpected and you felt like you did everything in you power to prevent it.

Just realize that no one is purposely trying to rip you off or to deceive you. Take a breath and come at it from a calm manner and explain things out like Timo mentioned, and you will likely have a good chance of getting this resolved satisfactorily