Help! Need to be able to revert my LG G3 back to stock ROM for Koodo LG G3 D852. Urgent!

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hey there,

So I'm having a problem.  Nothing I can do can get my phone to receive OS updates and I cannot upgrade past 4.4.2.  I think the problem is that I left Koodo a few months ago due to moving and needing to save some money on my cell plan, so I went to WIND.

The D852 natively cannot use WIND's frequencies, so I had to flash a new ROM on it.

Now that I'm back with Koodo, I reformatted and expected it to let me get updates again, but that isn't the case.  Nothing I can do will upgrade my phone to 5.0.1 or higher, or anything...

So I assume I need to put a stock ROM back on it.

Any suggestions on how to do that? I need At least Lollipop for an app I need for work.

Thanks!
Photo of Josh Bauer

Josh Bauer

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Josh Bauer

Josh Bauer

Well, ideally I would like to get up to Marshmallow but I was under the impression it wasn't released for Koodo yet.
I am not experienced in flashing custom recoveries / roms, rooting my phone or anything, but I am fairly technologically experienced and if there is a guide on how to do it then I am confident I could. Most of the problems I encountered when rooting my phone to try other ROMs is the guides I read were coming from the perspective of 2014 and the apps no longer exist / work. At the end of the day I just need anything higher than 5.0 on my phone, and preferably 6.0. I thank everyone for the help and also apologize for my lack of experience. Josh
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Personally, If your not into flashing roms and stuff. I would stick with Rikkster's idea and just use the LG flash Tool to flash the KDZ and .TOT if you can find them > i used the BELL file for the KDZ and .TOT and it works just fine and updated back to 5.0.1 using the LG PC SUITE, and my phone reads the Koodo network no issues at all. It also displays Koodo at the top of my phone so i dont know if it unlocked the phone by using the BELL file, but bonus if it did lol > Il

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WgXu...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVms... >same program as above, different youtuber.

Yes the video is called UNBRICK UNROOT G3, but its the exact same process you will need to use for Rikksters Idea.
(Edited)
Photo of Josh Bauer

Josh Bauer

I don't mind learning how to do something if there is a tutorial that is current.  With that being said, I am actually pretty positive I've downloaded the Telus (and other ROM's on that URL) and encountered problems somehow.

I'll have to double check and try when I get home.  I just want a working phone!
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

Im dumb. LG Flash tool uses .DLL and .TOT files. Not KDZ> but its the same process. lol

INSTRUCTIONS ON LG FLASH TOOL and .DLL/.TOT files
http://www.androidrootz.com/2014/07/h...
(Edited)
Photo of Josh Bauer

Josh Bauer

Hey there... did you ever see a .kdz for a D852 Marshmallow?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,262 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just a quick note and to avoid confusion. There are two types of firmware flashing utilities. Both methods accomplish the same task.

LG Flash Tool 2014 flashes firmware files with the .kdz file extension. A typical .kdz archive contains a .kdz file which is the actual phone firmware and a .dll file which is used to specify phone type and firmware version. There are two ways to install the firmware: Normal Flash - installs new firmware without data loss. CSE Flash - installs new firmware, resets phone to factory default and deletes all user data, (recommended).

LG Flash Tool (minus the 2014) requires both .tot and .dll files. The ToT method restores the complete stock software, pre-loaded software included. This resets recovery, un-roots and returns everything to stock. This is a tool you would use if you're experimenting with custom ROMs or recoveries and want to return the device back to stock. The downside is that the software may not be able to detect the proper com port (41), if the LGE Mobile USB Serial Port driver is not present in Device Manager.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

yeah, what he said Lol
Photo of Josh Bauer

Josh Bauer

Hey there! I was actually just coming back to reply: Managed to flash it with lg flash tool 2014 back to a Telus D852 and I'm in the process of updating it! It seems it's working again, you guys have been a great help.

Is there any known KDZ files for 6.0?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Great to hear Josh, glad to be of help. I wasn't able to find a stock .kdz file for 6.0. Marshmallow should be rolling out to LG G3 devices via TELUS on the 16th of March.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

Super good to hear! weve all learned things here today! No not to my knowledge. Im using a D855 6.0 modified for D852 to get Marshmallow. Its running Flawlessly. But its a custom rom and you need to be rooted for that. Which can be a pain if your not familiar with rooting and stuff. Just wait it out. The actual release for 6.0 is only a week or so away! Its better to have the official anyways.
Photo of Adam G Arsenault

Adam G Arsenault

• 62 Points
Sorry guys, I'm late to the party but looks like a smart group.. I just can't find a file to revert my Telus d852 with CM12.1 back to stock. Is this even possible? I've been told there is no file or tool for Telus where as there can be for most all other networks.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

I use the Bell .dll and . tot files and im a telus/koodo customer. The files i use bring me bck to 4.2.2 KK, and then i use the LG PC SUITE to upgrade to LP(which would now be MM).

By doing that, it brings me back to telus software for some reason.

use youtube.
(Edited)