Help for Snowbirds(eventhough it is June!!)

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
How can I decrease my costs when travelling in the US and using the phone for calls both within the States and back to Canada?Presently I have the $1.50/minute US roaming
Photo of Sandra Lebeau

Sandra Lebeau

  • 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

  • 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unlock your phone and use a prepaid provider like Cricket wireless (using AT&T) or T Mobile. It sucks having to pay for 2 plans but they'll be way cheaper than roaming
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,582 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Short-term answer ---- roaming.

Longer term answer (months +): get phone unlocked, US SIM card.

If your number is important to you, put your Koodo on seasonal hold for $15 a month, or port the number out to an internet or VoIP service.

If you port out, you are closing your Koodo account and will have to settle last bill including tab. You can port the number back to Koodo on a new account when you return to Canada.

As a US supplier, ConsumerCellular is cheap, 100% compatible and has virtually free long distance to Canada. Good customer service run from USA. SIM available at Target or Sears.

Or get a prepaid Tracfone, no surcharge for calls to Canada. Works like Koodo prepaid in that you buy buckets that never expire, but there is no monthly fee. Customer service can be hit and miss, but very popular with snowbirds in AZ. You will need one of their phones, so no need to unlock your Koodo. Check prices on their site and eBay.

Consider how important long distance arrangements are to you: if you port your number to VoIP or some internet providers, for a nominal cost you can get your Canadian calls forwarded to your US number (under 2 cents a minute). So the locals and folks back home can call you on their local plans.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.