Unlocking my iPhone

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

i would like to unlock my iPhone
Photo of Damion Wongsang Jr.

Damion Wongsang Jr.

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Damion, that is certainly possible!

If you are a Koogo customer in good standing (meaning you paid at least 3 bills and are up to date with your payments), you can have your iPhone unlocked for $50 :)
Photo of Myke

Myke

• 45,090 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is Koogo new? ;)
Photo of Fariborz Rabiee

Fariborz Rabiee

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
OK good, but HOW ?! Through the web. (which page) ? Or call (number ?) ?!
Photo of L Mike Hubenig

L Mike Hubenig

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
According to consumers rights as posted by the crtc, if a phone is fully paid for, the service provider must unlock it from their network if requested to do so. So where does my standing, of paying for mobile services and not for a mobile device, entangle me to a time frame that must be fulfilled before you will unlock it?
I purchased, paid for in full, a second hand iPhone that is locked to your network, from a completely separate third party, and use it with an existing Koodo service only plan. But Koodo will only unlock it if I've been paying for their services for 3 months? That's a greasy business practice.
Well I have 15 days to break the contract for any reason from date of signing, and may have found my reason.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 64,778 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you have a negative tab balance than you must have been with Koodo for 90 days to get the phone unlocked. This is to prevent people from taking advantage of low tab prices ans then unlocking the phone amd switching carriers.
In your case, you should be able to unlock the phone right now!
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 143,236 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If the above part is what you are going by, note that the date on it is from 4 years ago, which would be roughly March of 2013. The crtc wireless code of conduct which specified that carriers must unlock unsubsidized phones immediately upon request at the rate specified by the carrier did not come into effect until November of 2014. Kiddos requirements have since been updated to comply with the wireless code of conduct, meaning that unsubsidized phones can be unlocked immediately and subsidized phones after 90 days. Either one will cost you $50 though.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 95,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You actually fall into a grey area. From the CRTC website (emphasis mine):
  1. A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
    1. for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.
    2. for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.
Since Koodo did not supply the device to you, this clause does not really apply, and you should be contacting the supplier of the phone for the unlock. That said, it appears that Koodo may unlock a phone on its network for its customers. Since Koodo wants to avoid creating accounts for the sole purpose of unlocking a phone, there is a 90 period to meet their definition off being a 'Customer' for unlocking purposes.
Photo of L Mike Hubenig

L Mike Hubenig

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks David, lol. Legalese defined common words will get ya every time. I paid cash for a Koodo SIM card, and I thought I was a customer. Silly me, lol
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There is a very simple solution, just buy a prepaid SIM card from Koodo, load $50 on it and you can unlock it instantly. Problem solved :)
Where do I get it unlocked? Is there a number I can call?
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 82,402 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Send us a private message on Facebook Irmgard and we can validate your account to help. 
Photo of John Burke

John Burke, Mobile Master

• 71,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or to unlock it right away I (as well as my fell MM's) have used CellUnlocker.net
Photo of helen

helen

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi you can easily unlock your iphone by using remote unlock method. If you need remote unlocking service you can visit this site http://www.mobile-unlocker.com/apple-... here you can get the service and unlock your iphone easily.
Photo of Fariborz Rabiee

Fariborz Rabiee

Please, how I could UNLOCK my earlier purchased device (Iphone 7 plus) ?
I need it done, latest in two weeks, as am a frequent traveler to abroad. So far have received three bills (two small/minor, one big, to be paid soon).

Could do, right away now ?
Amount that I should pay ?
How to do so ?
I wish to CALL and talk with somebody, to proceed so.

Thanks
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 116,250 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I answered this in the other thread.

If you have more question, please use this link to post your own question.
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/new

You usually get more helps and answer/helps quickly.
Photo of Fariborz Rabiee

Fariborz Rabiee

OK, I knew that, re-checked again, but do not know how to do ?! Where in my KOODO's web. page should go ? To whom-Tel. should take, for UNLOCKING my device ?!
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 116,250 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Dial *611 from your Koodo phone.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.