GSM based development board that uses 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHZ. Can I use Koodo?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
I trying to set up a GSM based gadget that uses a SIM card, senses motion and texts you with a preset message that "Motion has been Detected" Operating frequency is 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHZ. Can I use Koodo? I have been getting mixed answers. So GSM or CDMA

This little box has a PIR motion detector not unlike the one you find on your motion activated light connected to a GSM module and runs a simple script held on a tiny flash chip. One may text it with '0000' or '1111' to turn it off or on respectively. It is bound with the number 10 seconds after installing the new full sized SIM

For anyone who finds this mildly interesting they can be had at Ebay for $9 USD  However it might be better to make the device from the component parts rather than this item known as Mini GSM PIR Text module. It is getting mixed reviews, there is no antenna so it might be short of RF elbow grease. Tiny PCB type antennas are maybe good for Bluetooth (30 meters at best) but not for cell phone frequencies like 850MHz. Even a quarter wave antenna for this frequency is quite longer than the little box that comprises this Chinese Gadget.

Thanks for your attention and kind assistance :-)
Photo of Christopher Leech

Christopher Leech

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,688 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Koodo uses HSPA for 3G and LTE. If by GSM you mean 2G then no it will not work. If by GsM you mean 3G with a sim card then yes.
Photo of Christopher Leech

Christopher Leech

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
For text only, the instructions are rather wanting as with all such crapolla from Asian shores.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,614 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Koodo does not operate a GSM (2G) network, as Goran stated. Rogers did, but I believe that have recently dropped it, as well.