Got charged $5 for US 1X Data Roaming .001mb with Data Roaming off, what is causing this?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I phoned in and got this charge removed.  I see I have another one in my next statement.  Rep did not know why is this happening?  Does anyone know why?  Can we prevent it?

This is also of interest to those who have Easy Roam turned on.  I don't think you want to be charged $7 if this is the only transaction incurred.

I am not sure if it matters, my device is Samsung S7.
Photo of Luis

Luis

• 288 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 61,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did you go into the US or close to the border?
When you get a low amount of data used like that generally it's just caused by a bit of data leaking. It's annoying, and it happens. Nothing else really to see about it.
You can switch your carrier from automatic to Koodo on your phone and that will prevent this.
Photo of Luis

Luis

Yes, I was in the US.

If I switch from automatic to Koodo, does this mean I will not receive phone calls or text messages?  I still like to know who's calling.  For important calls, I am willing to pay the roaming voice charge and answer the call.

Allan, is it reasonable for me to call in Customer Service and asked for credit each time this occurs?
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 193,208 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Was data or data roaming turned off in your settings?  Did you reboot your phone at any time during your time in the US?
Photo of Luis

Luis

Dennis, yes data roaming was definitely turned off.  I could not remember whether I rebooted or not.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 193,208 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sometimes data leakage can occur when a phone is being rebooted.

I would continue to contact Koodo to get your billing resolved.  But it will be a challenge to figure out the exact cause of the issue
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,302 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you select Koodo you will not receive calls or texts unless you are connected to Koodo network. 

It is for sure reasonable to call in and get a credit each time it happens if data roaming is off.
Photo of Deb Achen

Deb Achen

• 566 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What a hassle for those of us travelling to USA frequently. I only want to use wifi and texting.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 194,548 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Really, it should be find if you turn data off  and you dont restart your phone.

If  data leakage is still occurring then there is something wrong with your device or an app