Good free SMS app that won't count towards data?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I have a Nexus 5 and I use Chomp SMS for my texting. Supposedly, my plan has unlimited picture and texting included, however, if I send/receive with Chomp, it counts towards my data. I only have 300mb included in my plan, so I'm always close to going over.

Is there a good free SMS app that I can get that Koodo will be able to recognize the text/MMS and not count towards data use?

Thanks in advance.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,838 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I use chomp and don't have this issue.

. Even if it used data to send mms messages, those messages aren't counted towards your data limit.
What makes you think chomp is your data hog?
Photo of Chris

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chad.

I checked my data usage through Koodo online, and it says my data usage is at 148mb, I than check my data usage according to my phone and it's saying 143mb (and I realize the phone and koodo won't be accurate, but it's usually close +/- 10 mb).

I added up all the different usage breakdown on my phone and the only way it comes out to the 143mb is if I add the 50 some mb used by chomp. I can't think of any other reason why my data is that high according to Koodo's usage...I barely use any date outside of wifi areas...except chomp, that I use pretty much anywhere. 
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Except koodo doesn't count mms messages sent by chomp. What it does count is when chomp downloads a theme. It could just be themes and wall paper.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

And in the example you give you're within 10mb
Photo of Chris

Chris

Yeah, which is why I think the usage tracked by my phone is close to Koodo, and the only way I can get get to the the usage from my phone is by adding Chomp data use.

I haven't been downloading any new Chomp themes recently. I did a few months ago, but this data usage issue has been going on for a couple of months now. I didn't have a data use issue when I used to use the generic Hangouts text...except that text program is terrible. 
Photo of Todd Leblanc

Todd Leblanc

• 880 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You could always restrict chomp from using data in the data settings of the phone

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.