Giving grandfathered plan to family member and keeping your phone number

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
I wanna port my phone number out and place a new line (number) on my existing grandfathered phone plan. How can I go about doing this?
Photo of Adam

Adam

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 36,986 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Koodo has the transfer of ownership which is the number and plan together. You could not take out the number without terminating the plan. So if your family member takes the plan, he/she will own your number too. You will need another number if you transfer your plan.
(Edited)
Photo of Adam

Adam

Is there anyway around this? Seems unreasonable to have to give up my phone number.

The number and the plan should not be tied together. How is it that you can do a number change if that was the case?
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,194 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There isn't any way around this unfortunately. Porting your number will cancel your plan.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 105,160 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You could ask him to change number like that you're old number won't be accessible anymore.
Photo of Adam

Adam

I want to use my number with a different provider.

Telus can perform these simple functions, why can't Koodo! 
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,366 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can take your current number to a different provider. Just set up an account with the provider of your choice, and port your number to the new provider. Your current account with Koodo will be closed and a final bill sent you.

You can transfer your account to another person - this might be important if you were selling a business, and the number was essential to business continuity.

What you can't do is sell or give your current plan to someone else without the number.

(Edited)
Photo of Adam

Adam

I manage 900+ phone lines on a Telus corporate account and move numbers around onto different plans daily. This can be done.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Lots of options on a corporate account which are not available on a consumer account. You are also managing the numbers within the corporate account, not porting.
(Edited)
Photo of Adam

Adam

Koodo would rather see my plan die (and leave them) then to have me continue paying them with my expired plan. It doesn't make sense. 
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

What you are proposing is a grey market of phone plans. No carrier is interested in the responsibility of managing something like that.