Will we see galaxy S2X jelly bean update?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

will we see galaxy S2X jelly bean update?
Photo of Lubas Valentino

Lubas Valentino

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

• 10,030 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It was rumored to be available by now. Hopefully not much longer for you loyal people rocking stock roms.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 136,292 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It won't be out for a few months still. The international Galaxy S2 has to get it first then a month or 2 after that carrier branded models will get it. Your looking around March or so. - KID ANDROID. ( Team.Android.Canada)
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

That long? It just doesn't make sense. How does a community of developers who are more or less doing it for free manage to crank out a 4.1.2 update long before the carriers and manufacturer?

Hell, guys are working on getting 4.2 running on the t989
Photo of Paul Deschamps

They were going to start releasing it for the international model but they held it back while they are fixing the exploit issue with the Exynos processor. They had to hold back all the updates for Samsung devices using the Exynos processor. Then they have to bring the update to the carriers and have them put their bloatware and test it, which usually takes providers a month just to test it. Then it has to go back to Samsung and they give it the final Ok and release it. Ya have to get an international model of any phone if you want official updates 1-3 months quicker. That or a Nexus.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Well that sucks. The SII X doesn't even have the Exynos processor
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Ya but the international model does as does the international Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 1&2 which will be taken care of first. I got my 4.1.2 update from 4.1.1 on my international Note 2 last week so the Carrier branded Note 2s will be next then the original Note and S2 should be after that, then finally the carrier versions of those 2.
Photo of Lubas Valentino

Lubas Valentino

unofficial is another whole world

official roll out from carrier suffers from a lot more bureaucracy if you know what I mean :)

as long as they officially confirmed it will roll out I am happy
if they confirmed it with a planned roll out date I would be happier
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Can't really say, I haven't tried them all yet. I'm currently rocking an unofficial slim bean 3.1 build. Not a true vanilla experience, but nothing I'd consider bloat either: Slim bean is a fairly popular base rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showt...

This with some int.d tweaks & some other stuff makes for my daily driver.

Head over to xda forums for the t-mobile t989 (hercules). Identical hardware to our SII X t989D, and all roms should work fine. I have noticed some of them package the radios with the rom as well, but the one I'm using (slim bean)came with none, so I'm still just rocking the stock radio. Just something to keep in mind if your reception gets flaky

Link to the forum here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forum...
You can also get the radio in here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showt...

I am using it, it is good. the only problem is my phone thinks that its on Telus!
Otherwise, it is good, I have not had a problem for a week.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

That's because your phone is on telus ;-)

That radio you linked is the exact same radio on the stock rom. It's just the stock rom covers the fact and rebrands the signal as coming from "Koodo".

Also, doesn't report the hspa+ connection as 4G anymore, because that was another stock rom cover up.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 44,864 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 144,740 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Still on CM10 with no issues... Yay
Photo of Lubas Valentino

Lubas Valentino

I just Asked in the forum to try liquid smooth rom iam going to give that a try
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 44,864 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Skimming over CM9 & CM10, both the nightly and stable versions, I still see alot of areas that are indeed a work in progress.

http://www.teamchopsticks.org/p/cm9-r...
http://www.teamchopsticks.org/p/cm10-...

Think I'll give this version of LiquidSmooth a go.

http://goo.im/devs/liquidsmooth/RC9/h...
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Yeah I've heard good things about liquid smooth. Big fan of onlychevys unofficial build of slim bean 3.1. Good battery life and super stable.

I think liquid smooth uses a slim bean base no?
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Never mind I'm on glue lol. All the current roms for the t989 look pretty decent, we have a lot of good quality choices for this phone.

I say try them all, that's what backups are for :)
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

I am no liquid smooth as of this morning. so far so good.
Photo of Cristhian Mejia

Cristhian Mejia

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've installed CM10 on my S2X and it's so-so. Battery life isn't the best, you'll get up to 79% in about 3hrs. I'm running ICS 9.1.0 from CyanogenMod. It's stable and battery life is really good. I'm averaging about 15-17hrs with use. CM10 uses battery just being in my pocket. I'm going to wait for 4.2 to fix those problems.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

You'll be waiting awhile for cyanogen mod 10.1 (4.2) they can't even get it to boot yet on our phones.

I got 6hrs screen time and totaled 20 hours on slim 3.1. Screen time is what matters to me. I get about 34 hours strict stand by time with limited screen use.

You couldn't pay me to go back to an ics Rom, stock or otherwise. Lots of jb roms out there besides cm10, and most of them that I've tried are very stable. Only time I've run into crashes its while trying to get the 4.2 gapps to run, and that was my fault, not the roms.
Photo of Cole Willison

Cole Willison

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
A build of 4.2 is now up and available, officially from cyannogen mod. It is currently running very smoothly with minimal issues. Still looking forward to see how official JB 4.1.2 is going to run on our phones
Photo of Cristhian Mejia

Cristhian Mejia

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
There's an actual official port from the ATT Skyrocket. Its a good glimpse of what Jelly Bean will look like. Its not looking the best. I find that there's to much going on with the interface. But it looks nice though.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Yeah, isn't that just a leak? I didn't think the skyrocket actually started getting the ota update yet.

How exactly is there "too much going on?"
Photo of Brian Norton

Brian Norton

• 1,126 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Looks like the international version will get updates in February though samsung Kies. Then N/A models to follow. So I figure March or April for us. androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-jelly-bean-updated-delayed-til-february-20130115/
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Told you at the top of this post 2 weeks ago to expect it in March :-) I know how their update process works and having all Samsung phones for the last 4 years or so & following their update process through the many debacles that have occurred.
Like Aaron I don't get what you mean too much going on? I have the Galaxy Note 2 running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 & I don't think theirs too much going on but I don't get exactly what you mean.
Photo of Luke Perry Glover

Luke Perry Glover

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Ahsan Raza Farooqui

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
when when how much days one week or two
Photo of Paul Deschamps

my guess is 2-3 weeks

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

its means end of feb
i have one problem my mobile show 768mb ram why????
samsung galaxy s2 x t989d
Photo of Myke

Myke

• 44,980 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Because that's how much is remaining. You have to take into account how much ram it takes to run the OS of the phone. This works exactly like a computer in this respect. Ram & space is required for the Operating System.

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

but my other lg 3d mobile 512mb ram and its has 512mb ram
Photo of KMT

KMT

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Good News.

MobileSyrup news telling us: Bell Samsung Galaxy S II “will get a taste of Jelly Bean over the next few days” and for other operators (Rogers, TELUS, SaskTel ) over the coming weeks.

Hope that we will get it soon (Mid March).

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/02/13/bel...
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/02/14/s...

Waiting for Galaxy S II X. :)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

any news for samsung galaxy s2 x ???????
Photo of Paul Deschamps

It's coming be patient, Samsung said Bell is getting it first with more carriers to come in the following weeks.
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Geez be patient it's coming don't worry. you'll have it by months end. If you were that worried about it you wouldn't still be using a 2 year old device.
Photo of Cole Willison

Cole Willison

I do agree with hasan though, it should not take this long to release the update, we all know they have had it for a month plus. Oh well, I don't care all that much, I am loving 4.2.2!
Photo of Starfox

Starfox

• 5,678 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Key word is "patience"
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

• 2,808 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Come on guys, I may be checking every few days at home for the update, you don't see me being that impatient. You guys clearly haven't been through the whole Blizzard (trademarked) SOON! era.
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

• 20,054 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
RedMageX, they're still in that era ;).
samsung galaxy s2 x jelly bean how much day wait man :(

can't wait any more
Photo of Paul Deschamps

That's what you have to deal with, with carrier branded models of phones. If you want faster updates get an unlocked international model or a Nexus phone. Your phone works doesn't it? Then don't worry its coming. You don't want them to rush out updates & a bug complete make your phone inoperable right? Custom ROMs come out quick yes because they are full of bugs or not fully operationally. Company's have to make sure they have caufht any bugs & Samsung has been doing a great job at it compared to a couple years ago. They have a lot of updates to work on & a older device like the Galaxy S2 isn't top priority anymore.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

I do want to mention that custom roms marked Stable or RC ( release candidate) are usually fully functional. and while I don't want to use the words " bug free" they are usually as bug free as stock.

sent from my S2x running Liquid Smooth JB ver 2.0 RC9 (4.1.2)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

I'm talking about when they are first released, I see them all the time when first released saying this doesn't work and that & it's not good to use yet for everyday use. If Samsung did that it would cause a huge issue and nobody would want to buy their products again. This is why it takes way longer for official software to be released then custom ROMs.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

I understood that. But i just wanted to mention that because i don't want to scare newbies who might be toying with the idea of rooting. For sure nightly releases are not for daily use but stable releases are.
Photo of Tyler Bigwin

Tyler Bigwin

• 70 Points
We should be seeing Jelly Bean Should be arriving in mid or early march. So should be hear soon.
Photo of Don

Don

• 6,526 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Rogers' Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE has made available the 4.1.2 update on Kies. I'm rooting a phone for my cousin and I was going to install the updates OS from a developer's rom but now it is irrelevant. I'll just root and unlock.
i m talking about samsung galaxy S2 X koodo
Photo of Starfox

Starfox

• 5,678 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Be. Patient.
Photo of karl Lebeau

karl Lebeau

• 60 Points
Do you you guys know, once it's gonna be out, if I can download it without being on Kies? Will they send me a notification?
Photo of lonita

lonita

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't know about anyone else, but there is no UPDATE DEVICE option in the ABOUT PHONE area of my S2X.
Photo of Tyler Bigwin

Tyler Bigwin

• 70 Points
You will need to go into kies the Koodo version doesn't support ota(over the air) updates
Photo of lonita

lonita

Oh I already assumed that. I've been checking since I heard the first Canadian rollouts were happening - though not as impatiently as some. :)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

That's odd that Telus/Koodo is the only one that doesn't have the OTA option in Canada.
Photo of Tornado15550

Tornado15550

• 586 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Told you. ;)
That's why I was wondering if Telus/Koodo will add a "Check for updates" OTA feature when they release the Jellybean update.

Luke Perry Glover

youll be able to connect to your computer and use kies on there to do it

i know the s2 users through bell and rogers already have the update but none of the articles mention the s2x...this worries me.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

The S2x isn't mentioned because only Telus & Koodo offer the S2x in Canada. Karl wanted to know if he'd be able to update without KIES, you obviously can update with KIES as that's how the S2X has been updated up to this point. I believe that since the update to ICS it brought with it the ability to update OTA for the JB update. I say this because with ICS bell could only update through KIES but this time around you have the option to receive the update OTA & I think the S2x will probably be the same.

Luke Perry Glover

ah okay. i just assumed bell or rogers would have it.

cool
Photo of Paul Deschamps

No they have a different variant, They have the Galaxy S2 LTE
Photo of Kim M

Kim M

• 60 Points
i have the galaxy s2x and i'm with telus and no update...my boyfriend is with rogers and has the s2 lte and had the update yesterday
Photo of Paul Deschamps

If he's having issues with his on Rogers tell him to read this http://teamandroidcanada.wordpress.co...
Photo of Brian Norton

Brian Norton

• 1,126 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I read this and makes me wonder. Yes it will be nice to have the upgrade, but its not like it will be a huge change. Its not like it will turn your S2X in to some super phone
Photo of Alvaro Fernandez

Alvaro Fernandez

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
waiting also!
Photo of Princess Meher

Princess Meher

• 60 Points
now we are end of the month hahahahahaha no update :(
Photo of Paul Deschamps

There's a whole other week till the end of the month
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

please read all the above posts before commenting. we are all waiting, asking the same question over and over doesn't change things. it will be released when we get it. end of feb is soon, possible to be in march. jusr be patient, your phone still works, it will come
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Just be patient. The end of the month is next week. Our you can root and update when you want

Cyanogenmod is already pushing nightlies for. 4.2

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

yupppy here is a gud news for all of u :)

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

feb is come to end :)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

How's that good news exactly? I'm lost since February has not ended yet
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

I don't know why it's good news, but this is pointless posting. Ahsan, please only post when you can add news to the thread at this point....like when the update is actually out.
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,284 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Telus is now reporting April for the update on their site so it's safe to assume there will be a bit longer of a wait.

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

hahahahahhaha haaahahah

check the link
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/So...
Photo of Josh Dloomy

Josh Dloomy

• 60 Points
This is absolute bullshit, and Telus should be ashamed of themselves. I've waited now 4 extra months and they have the audacity to tell us to wait until April. I promise this will be the last ever Android phone I purchase through Telus.
Photo of Don

Don

• 6,526 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Also, Kid is right, I think Rogers went too fast in publish the 4.1.2 update. My cousin had to deactivate the movements actions because it would cause the phone to reset each time you used some of these.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Some ppl om Rogers battery is dying super quick (3hrs) & their phone won't stop vibrating, it just keeps vibrating non stop till the battery dies. You guys want the update right now so you can have your phone doing that? lol
Photo of Spheeler

Spheeler

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I put the rogers s2 lte jelly bean update on my s2x, seemed to work fine for me. Very smooth and fairly average battery, never tested the "motion actions" out though.
Sucks they're holding on to the update like this, the t989 development community could use the official Jellybean kernal instead of having to compile their own!
For those interested in not waiting until April, check out the t989 section on xda developers.
Photo of lonita

lonita

The most compatible version is the T-Mobile one from the US - the Hercules model they sell is the same as the SIIX Koodo has.
Photo of Spheeler

Spheeler

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Actually the s2x and the tmobile t989 are the same phone, and unfortunately t-mobile is supposed to release their 4.1.2 update in April also :/
You can use skyrocket(s2Lte) firmware on the T989(s2x) with no issues you just need an auto rotation fix.
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

get a grip. only the nexus phones get the updates because they use stock android. the stuff we get is redone by samsung and still has to be approved by the carriers so we don't get a buggy update. if your really wanting jellybean now, root your phone. you want a better Android experience? Get a nexus 4
Photo of Cole Willison

Cole Willison

I agree if there are bugs on an official build then it shouldn't be released to the mainstream public, but the least Samsung as a company can do is "leak" the firmware. Not only does this allow for more advanced users to try it and test it out, like find all the bugs but it also allows for non-samsung developers to seek out fixes for these issues. Samsung should move to what's Sony is doing, releasing source right away and even releasing alphas/betas. For all the others, this is not koodo's fault's or telus' so don't blame them
Photo of lonita

lonita

Samsung has been known to do just that - give hardware etc. to hackers for testing/playing around.

Ahsan Raza Farooqui

its means now all company crash all mobile just left nexus its not mean if u wanna update so buy nexus its not fair
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

I'm totally confused by what you said Ahsan, but my original point is that the Nexus line of phones (especially the newest Nexus 4 Phone) gets it's updates DIRECTLY from Google. Samsung, like other phone makers, takes the stock OS and makes their own tweaks to it before releasing, and as the Telus page shows, they have to test it before they release it. Better to have QA go through it checking for any bugs/crashes than to release it to the public and give themselves a worse public image.

Either way, people need to be patient for the official update, or if they can't get over their extreme urge for instant gratification, root your phone, and upload a custom ROM to get the end result you want.

And Cole, there is a group of non-Samsung programmers already doing as you suggested, you can find them at http://www.cyanogenmod.org/
Photo of Cole Willison

Cole Willison

I am well aware of cyannogenmod, in fact I compile it myself. To be honest, I don't really care when the update comes out. I am content with 4.2.2.
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

Still no news about Jelly Jean for S II X. Samsung is working 4.2 Jelly Bean for Galaxy S III and Galaxy S II.
Photo of RedMageX

RedMageX

Please refer to the following link that has already been provided above. http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/So...
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Samsung made a statement on a question posted on Facebook that the Galaxy S2 will not be updated to 4.2 so 4.1 is it for that model.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Ok everyone repeat after me
Odin

Clockwork Mod Recovery

CYANOGENMOD, LIQUID SMOOTH, SLIM BEAN, MIUI.US
Photo of lonita

lonita

I have done it without bricking, twice. It's not for everyone though, and there are sacrifices - some of the stock CWM apps are less to my liking than the native apps that came with the phone.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.