Galaxy Ace Update Issue

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
How would I know I should not have been updating the Google Apps on my Galaxy Ace?
4 days ago I ran into memory issues and when I called a Koodo rep I had already figured out that the Google Apps (which I could no longer update) had consumed all my phone memory I just didn't know why. The Koodo Rep explained that I shouldn't have been updating those apps. It was an older phone initially and the Google software was well tested and perfectly O.K
He suggested I should have read the fine print in the contract provided. Not possible as it was a gift. I got a little blue bag and a yellow brochure explaining what features my daughters $25 a month got me.
The rep led me through the update deletion process and I got 80 Mgs back and after a hard reset I was good to go. Is this Google update issue for real or am I missing something here?
Photo of stillgolfing

stillgolfing

• 1,464 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
How long have you had the ace? Unfortunately it was an entry level device 2 years or more ago and has certainly been showing it's age lately, unfortunately this device wasn't equipped with much internal memory so you will run into these issues from time to time. Best to be as selective as possible when updating. Sucks I know. IMO you might be better off to upgrade to the ace 2x or even the s2x.

There is nothing on the contract to the best of my recollection that says don't upgrade your device software. Ludicrous.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,876 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The only other thing you can try is to get a Micro SD Card and then some apps will be able to be transfered to the SD Card. Some apps will not be able to be moved to the SD Card & will need to be kept on the internal storage of the device.

To move apps you can download an app called move to SD and run the app to move apps able to be moved. You can also move apps manually by going to SETTINGS - APPLICATION MANAGER - Then click on the first app, if there's an option that says MOVE TO SD click it and it will move part or the entire app to the SD CARD. If there's no option there then that app can not be moved. press the Back button (arrow button) on the phone and it will bring you back to your list of installed apps, then choose the next app and repeat the process until you've tried to move every app on the list.
Photo of stillgolfing

stillgolfing

• 1,464 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the replies Chad and Paul.
The phone is about 18 months old
I already have an SD card and a transfer program. The problem was specifically with the google Apps (which can't be transferred) and the 18 months of subsequent updates. Now that those updates are history there is no memory problem. However, I was wondering how to reinstall the App "Play Store Services" which the Rep had me delete (the only Google App that was deletable). It appears that removed access to the Play Store (The Icon is gone).Consequently, I currently don't know how to access the updates for my other Apps or to get more Apps to put on the SD card. There were 5 or so non Google updates remaining when my memory tapped out the other day
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,450 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For lack of a better term, that rep was full of it from the get-go. Have to agree with Chad, it might be worth your while to upgrade to something a little more reliable. I've had the Ace, ended up selling it. Unless you wanted to try your hand at rooting the device, then flash or side-load the Google Apps .apk (GApps) file, then I suppose you could do that. I have both the Ace 2x and the S2x. I prefer the S2x over the Ace 2x simply for the fact that it outperforms the Ace 2x on so many levels.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
And i have to agree with rikkster and even add that if there is a custom rom available for it you may want to do that too as it will breathe new life into your snail Er phone. Check out an app called link2sd as well which creates extra storage space by using your SD card. Huge learning curve but well worth it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.