Freed from Bell, but what about my SIM and phone number ?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Unlocks are now free

I just finished my contract with Bell. iPhone 5. I want to switch to Koodo, I find their system simple, but I am not a cell phone buff. Question: If I buy a new phone here (full price), I'll get a new SIM card. Will I have to switch telephone number ? Or could I just cancel my Bell plan and put this SIM card in my new Koodo phone ? How does that work ? Will it be locked ? Help
Photo of Eric Paradis

Eric Paradis

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you're switching to Koodo, either with a new phone or using your existing one, you will be activating a Koodo SIM, not a Bell one. Every carrier has their own SIMs.

Your iPhone will need to be unlocked first if you wanna use it with Koodo, or you can get a new one financed through the Tab.

Keeping your phone # is easy. Just bring your Bell account # when you want to activate Koodo and the store rep can port it for you.
Photo of HippieLongstocking

HippieLongstocking

• 24,720 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Eric!
Just simply head to a KOODO kiosk and they will activate and account for you. If you do want to bring your number from Bell just bring your account number with and you can keep the same number. You will get a KOODO SIM card and the phone number will be transferred to the new KOODO SIM, it will take a couple of hours before the transfer is fully transferred over so you wont be able to receive texts and phone calls but can make and send texts. Bell will get notified that your number was transferred and the Bell account will automatically cancel for the next billing cycle.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 192,052 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
And under no circumstances should you cancel your bell account. If you do, you will not be able to port your number over and your old number will be lost
Photo of Eric Paradis

Eric Paradis

Thank you guys ! Just for the record: I will finally buy a new iPhone (rather expensive) and a plan that fits my need. Buying the same phone with Bell + the minimum plan they were proposing on a two-year leash would have represented more than 3000$ in 24 months. With Koodo, I reduce my monthly payment so much (without losing perks) that I can finance the phone over 24 months just with the monthly savings... 33$ vs 116$. Outrageous...

A follow-up question. For my current iPhone5 bought with Bell (contract over), what would be the steps to activate it with a Prepaid Koodo plan ? Do I have to jailbreak it (is that how we say that) ? Or is it just the SIM card that links it to Bell ?

Thanks
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,614 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You would need to pay Bell to unlock it while you are an active Bell customer. They will not do it if you are not an active Bell Customer
Photo of Eric Paradis

Eric Paradis

And they charge 50 bucks for that. That is insane... Even Alexander Graham Bell would not believe this... :-)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

iPhones are notoriously expensive to unlock in the online marketplace. The cheapest method is to unlock via your carrier 99.99% of the time
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

The least expensive iphone unlocking was found by Mobile Master Ivan here:

http://www.daxgsm.com/

He did successfully unlock some of his iphones with this service

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.