Does the SGH-I747M have a radio?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
SGH-I747M. Futureshop lists the phone as having FM radio. Can someone please verify that? Also has anyone updated the phone to 4.2.2 or higher? I would like to take advantage of photosphere.
Photo of Nicholas MelissinosNM

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 59,242 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
From what I could find out, the North American Galaxy S3 (i747) does not have FM radio. The international version (i9300) does have it, which means that someone at Futureshop probably mixed up the versions.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 132,242 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's a common mistake ;-)
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 59,242 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They frequently have 2G/3G bands reversed as well. I never trust their site for specs.
Surprise surprise... Any ideas on how to get the i9300 in Canada?
Oh and any ideas on being able to upgrade higher than 4.1.2?
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 59,208 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry about missing that part, Jonathan has covered it below.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 95,730 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The i747 is the NA variant of the S III that has a 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon 400 processor with 2 GB of RAM and LTE but no FM radio.

The i9300 is the international model with 1GB of RAM and no LTE but has a quad-core Exynos processor and an FM radio instead.

You'll basically have to find the i9300 online or find someone selling it in your local cell phone shop, mall, etc.

Samsung is skipping 4.2 and going straight to 4.3 for the S III and Note II, but it's not out yet (unless you root and install your own rom).

I haven't seen Photosphere running on any other device or rom besides stock Android on a Nexus 4. LG has their own version of the program called "VR panorama" on my G2 and I just tried it but it doesn't seem to work as well as Photosphere. Maybe I just have shaky hands today...
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 132,242 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Johnathan is right only the Nexus 4 has photosphere (and soon to be the Nexus 5) The only Samsung phone with a camera feature such as photosphere is the Galaxy Note 3 & I wouldn't expect the S3 to get it when it's updated to 4.3 the Galaxy S4 would probably be the only other Samsung phone to get it.