Essential Phone Earpiece Mesh Defect

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Black Friday Mentions

I’ve just witnessed how easy the fabric earpiece mesh can tear on the Essential PH-1. I was wiping the top of screen using a microfibre cloth and a portion of the earpiece mesh came off. It is now showing two big holes where debris can get in. Has anyone had this issue thus far? I’ve actually only owned the device for a week as a backup phone.

Essential support confirmed it is a manufacturer defect. They explained that if I lived in the US, they normally replace the device with a redesigned earpiece mesh. However, when I contacted our Koodo webstore, they’ve mentioned they are aware of the issue and the webstore rep has recently been on a call with someone else with the same issue. They’ve mentioned that all the Essential phone they have in-stock are from the old factory batch that have the same defect and they are not sure when they are getting a new shipment of the redesigned earpiece mesh.

I checked their Essential official community forum in Reddit and customers have reported this issue since August. Honestly, if there is a do it yourself kit on eBay, I’d just fix it myself. It is not really a big issue, probably why they haven’t done a recall of the old batch. But now I know not to wipe the top with a microfibre. The earpiece is just kind of an eye sore now
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Ohh I think I hit the max character, here’s the rest of my post:

The earpiece is just kind of an eye sore now
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 200,806 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So what is the solution for folks who have purchased the Essential phone?
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

We have to wait until Telus/Koodo receives the new batch
Photo of D.L

D.L

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm pretty sure the one I received is from the new batch with the diagonal patterned mesh. I've since requested a replacement (due to a defect) so when it arrives I'll see if this phone has it too.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

thanks D.L.
Photo of D.L

D.L

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just received the new phone. The mesh is different from my first one, it's the older model with the fabric.... Also, the display is noticeably bluer than the first; I'd say inferior.

This means that Koodo is selling both the old and new models.
(Edited)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Yeah... I've just contacted Essential again and they mentioned they are sending Telus/Koodo frequent shipments all the time and "it is up to the retailer to manage their inventory and fulfill orders." It does seem like it is mixed models being given and it is just a chance if you get the old or the new.

Did the new one came with plastic shrink-wrap?

In terms of the blue display, I've noticed it too to mine and download a blue-light filter app. The one I am using is Twilight. It helps a bit but it does make the black have a reddish hue if you adjust the filter too high.

Photo of M Dalley

M Dalley

• 60 Points
Just curious... I got a replacement .. but the metal on the right side or "mesh" looks pushed in... Has yours pushed in at all?
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

So just a side note to all the Essential phone owners out there, be careful in cleaning the earpiece mesh and don’t be suprised if one day you pull it out of your pocket and a portion of the earpiece mesh is gone. The new earpiece mesh is supposed to be metal and a little ressessed compared to the old fabric mesh. I kinda want to confirmed we are all on the same boat, if you have the Essential phone, do you see a black fiber or a grey metal earpiece mesh?
(Edited)
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,600 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I would push to exchange the phone directly with Essential. Posting messages to their social media would help (facebook, twitter, forum, etc.)
Photo of moon jo

moon jo

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had my phone for exactly 2 weeks now but I've noticed the weird earpiece since day 1. Every time I get the phone out of my pocket, it would be filled with lint that I had to dig out with piece of paper.
Then I found out that it was a defect from reading reddit. I'll contact both Essential and Koodo.
(Edited)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

As it turns out, Essential can't help us if it is not bought in the US. But you can contact Koodo Webstore and see if you are within the exchange period. I just got my replacement today and I tried to distinguish the difference between the old and the new and I think the new one I got is made out of metal mesh. It is more see-thru than the first one I got.

Photo of moon jo

moon jo

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Glad to hear you got a new model. Hopefully I can get the same.
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is the new grill working out for you? I picked up my essential today from the post office, mesh has 2 holes in it out of the box. Was it easy dealing with koodo? And did you notice a difference in the screens?
(Edited)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, it is easy to make an arrangement for an exchange with the webstore. I received my replacement in 2 days. In terms of the screen quality, I noticed light bleeding in the left side of the screen on 90-100% brightness. The screen can get really blue too but I just use Twilight which is a blue light filter and when Android Oreo is launched later this month, it will help with that too. Other than those two observations, I am happy and I am keeping this replacement device. I’ve actually tested the new earpiece mesh by scrubbing it with a microfibre cloth and it did not peel. There is visible white glue residue around the earpiece but it’ll go away in time.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 204,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I don't remember ever seeing a mesh on mine.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Do you see two holes in the earpiece? The earpiece mesh is really reassessed and it is barely noticeable.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 204,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No. So mine must be fine.
I'm really liking it so far.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Me too! I actually prefer using my Essential than my iPhone.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,458 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It just keeps getting better with the Essential phone, I'm really kicking myself for not getting one on Black Friday. If the EIS is comparable to the Pixels it will really make its weakest point to a heck of a lot better.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/14/es...
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Keep an eye out on Boxing Day :)
Photo of daeshawn

daeshawn

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Anyone have a proper picture of the difference? The one on reddit really is hard to distinguish. Mine i can barely tell
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,458 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

What hardware version do ppl have here? Wondering if there's different release versions or if the others were prototypes and 1.8 is the only released version of the Essential Phone.
Photo of Gordon Chiu

Gordon Chiu

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will Koodo do a warranty repair for this issue after 15 days?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,114 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They should as it is a manufacturer defect and should be covered under warranty.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

It's also a known issue and Koodo is aware

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.