Essential phone calling issues

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
My wife and I Received our second essential phone from Koodo...Sent the first set back for the same issue... Phone receives and makes calls but I / nor my wife can hear one another when we answer the call.... tried network reset, taking out sim and reinstall, turn off , remove sim , reinstall sim and turn on, various network settings like cdma only.., I would appreciate any ideas on what we are doing wrong..
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
First the network setting should be set to global. Also make sure your running the most up to date version of Android by going into thr strings and manually checking for updates, if it's a brand new phone there are many of them to download and install that fix the many bugs the device had when it first launched.
Go to settings - system - system update - check for update. *Download these over wifi if possible as some are fairly large files. Will take quiet awhile to download and install all the updates if you haven't done them yet. *

Next the microphone on the device is the tiny hole on the bottom of thr phone near the right hand edge of thr device, make sure your not covering that with your hand when your trying to talk during a call.
(Edited)
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

Thanks Paul, the phone s are fully updated to the latest updates except The 8.1. Which is not released by Koodo to the Essential phone as of now... they are both running 7.1.1. . I can also assure that the mics are not being covered during phone calls... I did switch to Global as recommended but The problem still persists...
(Edited)
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 24,430 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Does this problem only happen between you and your wife or you cant hear anybody that calls this phone? I can see getting a lemon phone initially but for the 2nd phone to have issues as well could indicate the problem is not with the phone.
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

It happens when we try to call each other or my daughter. Who is also on Koodo.... However if I take the sim out and use our old phones the problem goes away... I am hoping that It might be a setting that is not correct , optimized etc... I agree , the likelihood of receiving four defective phones is very low...
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,486 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried putting it on speakerphone or use headphones and see if you can hear each other?
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

Yes, that is among the first things we tried...l am just trying a factory reset now and see if this helps
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

Factory Reset didn't work
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 17,490 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
So just to understand you, the phones work perfectly fine when talking to anybody else except your wife and your daughter? 
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,614 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So when you said yes to Allan, does that mean putting it on speaker phone worked or not worked?
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

Didn't work... I just spoke to tech support...they determined that the phones are faulty...returning them both... no More essential phones for us...too temperamental
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 17,490 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That is terrible luck and I dont blame you.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,614 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
From the community I have seen enough complains about the Essential phone that I will be staying far away from it
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,792 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's odd that it would work fine calling everyone but one person. I have the Essential phone and absolutely love it and running Android 8.1 I have no problems....
Have you checked to see if there's an update to carrier services in the playstore available and updated it as well, I've had 3 updates to carrier services since I got mine.
(Edited)
Photo of Luis Hernandez

Luis Hernandez

I wish I had the same experience as you Paul.... but based on four faulty phones I can’t recommend the Essential phone..., too many bugs to still figure out...Thanks for your help though... Any suggestions as an alternative to the essential.... Considering the pixel or maybe the G6...
Photo of Solanges Griffin

Solanges Griffin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
on my second essential phone the first one wouldn't charge changed it this morning the second one is totally lifeless (same month) been on hold for 25 minutes,,, who has time for this.  GOOD BYE Essential