Easy Roam while I am in Australia. I cannot place a call to ANY of my CAN numbers. texts ok

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
I took Easy Roam for my voice and text (only - no data) phone while I am in Australia. The add-on says CA and AU # are included, yet I cannot place a call to ANY of my canadian numbers, landline or cells. Able to call AU ## fine. I am being charged $10 a day by Kooko, though...Please help! Thank you! Hélène
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • helpless

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 201,104 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Make sure your canadian numbers have a + in front of them.
They should look like this +1 ### ### ####
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

Tried that; also tried 0011 first, i always get the same (Australian) message: that number is not available with this service. Please contact your service provider...
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

Do you have these 3 add-ons enabled on self serve?

Photo of Camilo_A

Camilo_A

• 32,056 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Pay-Per-Use Intl Long Distance add-on will allow clients to make international calls WHILE in Canada, for Roaming purposes only International Data Roaming and International Voice Roaming is needed...
(Edited)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

Doesnt hurt to have it on
Photo of Camilo_A

Camilo_A

It does for some people... Since this add-on will enable International calling from Canada... So if this is not on the account, international calls will not work, unless client dial to a number under the North American Numbering Plan... ;)
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

I have easy roam, and the add-on insisted on also adding Pay per Use Int'al. Regardless, I have tried calling canadian numbers, either with just +1 then number, or the 0011 australian exit number then 1 for our NANP country code then number, neither works, i am starting to think the LOCAL network here is blocking these calls, what is the solution if so?!
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,454 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Resetting the phone doesn't help it?
Photo of Camilo_A

Camilo_A

Hi there!

The 10$ will be charged only if your phone is used though!

Are you able to text? Are you able to make local calls in Australia?

I will suggest to turn phone off, and turn it on... Then manually select network on the settings, when you manually select network you should have a list of local carriers... Then re-try to see if it works...
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

Ok I will turn on and off again. But yes, I HAVE placed local (au) calls no problem. I get texts from both countries no problem also.
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

Hello again, so I did that, got a max of 3 carriers, only one will actually connect, sometimes another one (yes Optus rather than Telstra, then I dial the +1 and canadian number, call either "fails" or same message about number not available from this service. Settings on phone do not block ANy calls, so that's not it either... :-(
Photo of Camilo_A

Camilo_A

Can you go to your call log and return a call to a Canadian number that had called you while in Australia?
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

Are you able to receive calls from Canada?
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

i haven't received any calls from Canada. I am asking my daughter to call me now (we are on the same Koodo account). I presume she should dial +1 first, not just the usual digits... When I try calling HER, it says call failed, or call barred check call settings, which I did, my phone says no calls are blocked, in- or out...
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

Hello again, you are patient, thank you. New devlopment: i texted daughter asking her to call me. I am on Yes Optus network in AU. My text never left, it says in red, embedded in it, "Operator determined barring". So text did not go out. Should I try on the FIRST enetwork I got connected to automatically when I first arrived?
Thanks for your help :-) :-)
Photo of Camilo_A

Camilo_A

For sure... Try with the network u see it works best
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

I got my daughter to call me from her Koodo phone in Canada. When I tried to call her back, I immediately got the Aussie voice telling the number you have called is not available from this service... Contact your service provider... Etc. what should I do now I wonder... Get an Aussie phone and pay for overseas calling?!
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,212 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
 I presume she should dial +1 first, not just the usual digits... 

No. She should call you using the digits she would any other time.

Call barring would be due to the Aussie carrier, not Koodo. It may be that Koodo does not have a partnership agreement with the carrier you are connected to in Oz. You should try other networks.

Edit: If she can call you, it would definitely be the Aussie carrier preventing your outgoing calls & messages.
(Edited)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

This is not the first post that mentioned Call barring.

Im gonna flag this to our Koodo contacts
Photo of Hélène Dupuis

Hélène Dupuis

I agree, I thought the block must come from the Aussie carriers. So I went to visit the default one, Telstra, in a nearby mall. He claimed it wasn't them, I should contact Koodo. He checked my phone and confirmed the setttings are all appropriate. I'd phone Koodo, only i CAN'T! Sigh....
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,454 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You actually can contact Koodo using the toll-free number and Skype and all this for free.