Easy roam charging daily????

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Easy Roam. I added it the day before we started our holiday. I have my phone on airplane mode as I was told by the Koodo rep. When I have access to wifi I take it off airplane mode and use it. Why am I getting charged daily $7 for easy roam? On my bill there is a roam/voy charge of $7 daily
Photo of Laura Miron

Laura Miron

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 65,668 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Do you have something like Wi-Fi assist on?
To confirm, you never made any or calls, answered any phone calls or used any data?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,222 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you sending texts? They may use the cellular network if you have iMessage turned off.
Photo of Laura Miron

Laura Miron

I have used the phone 3 days for data without wifi so I know I should have been charged. I have an Iphone 6 and I can't find wifi assist
Photo of Laura Miron

Laura Miron

Wifi assist is off
Photo of Laura Miron

Laura Miron

I put the phone on airplane mode as soon as we leave our condo, we have wifi at the condo we are staying in. I use the phone at the condo on wifi during the morning or evening. If we are somewhere there is wifi and I need the phone I will take it off airplane mode and use the wifi. I am not sending texts unless I am using Whatsapp on wifi.  Does it make a difference if the phone still has cellular on, or do I need to take it off cellular as well as put it into airplane mode,
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,152 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If data roaming is on when you switch from Airplane mode, then it is very possible data is consumed before the Wi-Fi connects. If you wish to use the phone in the manner you describe, you would be better to turn off data roaming & leave Airplane mode off.  Or turn Airplane mode on and turn on your Wi-Fi.
(Edited)
Photo of Laura Miron

Laura Miron

I understand that but the time that the charge is incurred Is between 5-7am and if I change to MST that’s 9-10am and it’s the first time during the day i have touched the phone. Inside the condo with wifi on and airplane off. I turn airplane off when we get back to the condo in the late afternoon early evening and leave it off until we leave the next day
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

There are times when Wi-Fi drops, and cellular is the first action on iPhones. If you want to avoid data costs, switch data roaming to off.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 201,000 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just to be clear, as it doesnt seem to be the focus here.  But to what David said:
Do NOT turn airplane mode off.  Leave it on and you can still turn on wifi with airplane mode on and not incur any roaming charges. 

Or better yet, take out your sim card
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was out of the country for 30 days in total in the past 2 months and after checking my statements I realized that I got charged $10 every day.  I only used my phone twice and only turned it on to check the time or use my alarm.  Koodo says that I used data every day, even though I have my phone set to use data only in wifi areas.  Koodo said that I must have background apps running but they can't tell me what they are because they are not a phone manufacturer.  I didn't know about airplane mode, there is nothing on the Easy Roam details page about this and I did not get a rep to add Easy Roam for me so I had not been informed about this at all.  I am really not impressed that I am being charged $300 for using my phone 2 times.  And Koodo says it is not their problem.  I don't know where to go from here.  I removed "EASY Roam" and feel scammed.
(Edited)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Laura,

Are you referring to the add-on in your account stating that for US Easy Roam it is $7? Have you received your bill yet?
Photo of J

J

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Easy roam can be in your account, but will only be charge if a phone call is answer or make, a sms is send or if a MB of data is used. 
Photo of Bruce Bidinoff

Bruce Bidinoff

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don’t understand. When is the seven dollars per day charge put onto the bill?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Bruce, it is added at some point during the day you make use of the service. It may show at some time other than the triggering incident.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
On your next bill
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

I just looked at my last statement and I was charged $10 every day I was out of the country, so $180,  and I only used it for one of those days.  My statement says I used it 1:00 a day.  I just back from a week out of country and I'm worried the same thing happened.  Who do I talk to?
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,692 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ruth
The easyroam is caped at $100 per 1 billing cycle https://www.koodomobile.com/help/easy-roam

If you used 1:00 minute per day while roaming, then easyroam wasn't the best choice for you.

To dispute billing, you would have to call Koodo (611 from your handset) or send message to their facebook.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 201,000 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
@Ruth, did you have data enabled, send text of take any calls on those other days?
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

I spoke with Koodo billing and they said I must have background apps running that I'm not aware of but they can't tell me what those might be.  I had data disabled and only turned my phone on to check the time or set the alarm.  Only made 2 phone calls the entire time.  As if I would use my data for 1 minute a day knowing I'm being charged $10 for that minute.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

@Ruth:
It would be hard to make a case without a good evidence. Have you got detail of your usage oversea? I would suggest you go over the detail (call/data/text) and see what triggered easyroam for eachday. In stead of going to dispute the whole easyroam charge, I would suggest you go for some specific days, that you think you shouldn't have been charged.
(Edited)
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

I am disputing every day except for the two I used the phone.  When I go into my history to look at my data usage, it is only for the total amount for the day, not specifically what the data was being used for.  I have to find out from the manufacturer how to find out what might be running in the background.  I just don't have time for all this.  I just wanted folks to know that there is nothing on the Koodo Easy Roam page about background running data that you will be charged a minute a day for.  Just make sure you know what you are signing up for,  You can't just trust that all will be fine because of the way it is advertised.  I see other posts that people are being charged a minute a day.  Koodo needs to fix this oversight and be clear about how to ensure you are not charged $10 for turning on your phone to check the time,  for people who are not technologists. 
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

Data is not charged by the minute, but by the MB. If you are seeing a daily 1.00 minute consumption, you need to be looking in the phone app, not the data section. It is also EXCEEDINGLY unlikely your phone would consume exactly 1.00 MB day after day. There should be some variation, however small. Since phone calls are not billed by the second, calls of less than one minute are recorded as 1.00 minutes.

Your phone will have info on what apps consumed data. Koodo does not can not record what app uses data. 

Can you post the appropriate sections of your PDF invoice (with personal information removed) so we can better understand the charges, and offer solutions?
(Edited)
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

This is the end of my December statement, there are the same charges in November and January as well.  Sorry but the columns got compressed with the copy and paste.  It's always a charge to a 99999# and for one minute each day until the $100 cap:

DATE NUMBER AND PLACE YOU CALLED WHERE YOU CALLED FROM MINS: SECS LOCAL AIRTIME RATE ($/MIN) LOCAL AIRTIME CHARGE ($) LONG DISTANCE CHARGE ($)   OTHER CHARGE ($)                     TOTAL ($)

42 Sun Nov 26 12:01 pm   99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
43 Mon Nov 27 12:24 pm   99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
44 Tue Nov 28 12:34 pm   99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
45 Wed Nov 29 01:21 pm  99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
46 Thu Nov 30 01:33 pm   99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
47 Fri Dec 1 02:16 pm      99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
48 Sat Dec 2 02:23 pm    99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
49 Sun Dec 3 02:45 pm   99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
50 Mon Dec 4 03:17 pm   99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - 10.00 10.00
51 Tue Dec 5 04:02 pm    99999 ROAM/VOY 1:00 - - - - 0.00

TOTAL                                                                           $100.00 $100.00
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

@Ruth:
There was a similar case in Telus forum.https://forum.telus.com/t5/My-Mobility-Account/Call-log-shows-99999/td-p/72948

It seems the number 99999 was just a placeholder to identify when the easyroam started on certain day. Can you go into detail of the call/data/text usage log and see what happened at that certain time/date (as identified by the 99999)?
(Edited)
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

I don't know how.  When I go into App usage I can only see the total of each one for the billing cycle.  There are no calls or texts on those days, incoming or outgoing.  The Koodo guy I was speaking with didn't know how to access details of data usage at a specific time and date.  He told me I need to find that out myself because Koodo doesn't manufacture phones, they only provide the service. 
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

It's interesting to note that each charge, on every statement, is an average of 30 minutes later than the one the previous day
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

You could find the detail of your usage in your bill. Normally it is from page 4 in downward. I would suggest you go to your selfserve --> Billing --> Download the monthly bill that you had easyroam on. If possible, when you post your bill here, pls delete all personal information (name, number, etc.)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

These records, as Azure states, indicate the initiation of the Easy Roam for the day. They do not reference a particular amount of consumption, which could have been triggered by either a text or data use.  You may wish to see if the trigger was for a received text (which should be free), a sent text, or data consumed, details should be in your Self-serve. If, indeed, you consumed no data during those periods (data roaming was turned off), and did not send texts, then you may have the info you need to support a refund. If you did not have data roaming turned off, it is possible the phone connected to the cellular network between when you turned the phone on, and it connected to the local Wi-Fi network.
Photo of France Lajeunesse

France Lajeunesse

• 70 Points
My daughter is heading to Europe for 5 mths with an iphone and I've added the Easy Roam feature for emergency use only.  She has data roaming turned off and will only use the phone in WIFI so I'm just confirming that she will NOT be charged $10/day in this case correct?
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

I had my data usage turned off and only used wifi from my laptop, never from my phone.  My phone was turned off except to use my alarm and check the time. You need to confirm with a Koodo rep how to avoid the daily charge. People say to leave the phone in airplane mode but if she uses it even in a wifi zone I don't know if she will get zapped with data initiating.  I still don't know what my charges are for.
Photo of Ruth Day

Ruth Day

As I said, I sent or received no calls or texts except for 2 days and only used my laptop for the internet.  
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

@Ruth: that was what you thought. However, your phone could do differently in the background. That is why we need to look at the detail of the usage. There should be evidence of it in your bill.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

@ France: If your daughter stays in France for 5 months, it is better to find a local SIM. Roaming a Canadian SIM there is not really ideal.
Photo of France Lajeunesse

France Lajeunesse

• 70 Points
That’s the other option we are looking into in which case would there be any reason to have the current SIM card for the 5 months?. Does anyone know if we can suspend the monthly fee ?
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

@France: you could put that number on seasonal hold ($15/month). However, 5months of inactivity on that number might not be worth it. You can just cancel that line and get another number when she comes back.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.