Difference between a phone bought in the States versus Canada

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hey everyone, I have been doing research on getting a new smartphone and trying to find the cheapest way to get one while paying for it outright.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in a phone sold in the states compared to canada? Im looking for a friend and not concerned about carriers and such as long as I can go unlock the phone. Just mainly wondering if they are built differently in anyway to submit to federal laws or restriction?

Thanks
Photo of jasper

jasper

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 197,280 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No difference other than frequencies they work on. Just make sure it works on Koodo frequencies and your good to go. Koodo uses HSPA 850/1900mhz & LTE Band 4 2100mhz
Photo of jasper

jasper

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 197,280 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No Jasper, if your looking for unlocked devices a great place to buy them is from Expansys.com I've bought a couple of devices from them and they were reasonably priced & were at my front door the very next day of ordering with no issues what so ever, definitely check them out.
Photo of Humberto Giambrone

Humberto Giambrone

• 4,900 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I don't see much special about their pricing. Some are absolute rip offs. I think if you look around, there are better prices out there. Reputable Ebayer, Kijiji, with a receipt etc.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,046 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Lol, like the Nokia Lumia 710 for $415?
Photo of quasarito

quasarito

• 9,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I would also add that you should make sure you pay attention to the model number. There are several versions of the same phone but tailored for different frequencies. For example, there are different versions of the HTC One and Samsung S4 that differ only in frequencies supported.
Photo of G R

G R

• 2,090 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Except for perhaps Apple, if you bought a phone from the US or grey market here, you wouldn't get manufacturer's warranty in Canada, so if anything goes wrong, you'd be out of pocket.

Also, you'd need to check beforehand if the carrier would accept the IMEI from the internationally purchased device onto their network.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 95,836 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If purchasing online, he could get a Square Trade warranty.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.