Dead Phone

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
My phone has gone dead. Re-charging battery did not help. I notice that my account is over $50. Is that the problem? If so, I do not know my credit limit. How can I find it? And how can I change it?
Photo of Nick

Nick

  • 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

  • 187,512 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Even if you are on the spending limit program the phone should still power on.

When it first died, how much juice did it have?

How long has the battery been dead.  SOmetimes a very dead battery needs extra time to charge to a point that it displays that it is charging
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

  • 199,498 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If it has a removable battery try taking the battery out and then replacing it and trying it again.
Photo of Nick

Nick

  • 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had thought about doing that - but unfortunately no change! It does seem like a dead battery, doesn't it?
Photo of Evelina Preshyon

Evelina Preshyon

  • 426 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You have the same phone that my husband has, never leave your device or charger,charging over night you can and will end up burning your battery up or catch fire to your device or charger. You may have done that and not know for sure! My thoughts to you is to take it in ,have it checked or trying a new battery or charger...
Photo of Nick

Nick

  • 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Good advice Evelina! Fortunately i did get it going by taking the battery out, and, this time following the user manual, I reset it by holding the end key down. Many thanks, both of you, for all your help - especially you, Dennis, for responding so fast.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

  • 67,084 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
All lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries have a thermal protection circuit built in to the battery itself to prevent overheating and overcharging. When the battery reaches capacity, the charger either shuts off or trickle charges the battery. The trick is not to discharge the battery to zero as this will significantly shorten the lifespan of the battery. This is also the reason why manufacturers recommend using their chargers and not aftermarket chargers.

Discharge the battery to between 5 and 10% and charge overnight, or you can top up the charge during the day. I'm not trying to downplay the fact that a battery fire could happen, but to be honest, it is quite rare given the number of devices out there.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.