Data Usage Charge

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I am currently using a Blackberry. Note, this isn't a new phone and I'm not using a new plan; I've had this plan with Koodo for months now. Mostly, I use data for bbm and email (text only). I am being billed for data which I did not use. I checked my usage and on some days, it states that I have used as much as 400 mb. At the times which this occurred, the data is being used at the same time every hour. I do not know what is causing this, as this situation has never happened before. I am wondering why Koodo is charging me for data which I have not used.
Photo of Elaine Tam

Elaine Tam

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • sad

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,560 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is it possible that you have a hot spot feature on the phone & don't have it password protected so anyone can access it and use your data if in range of your phones signal?
Photo of Elaine Tam

Elaine Tam

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have never set up a hot spot for my phone, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is it possible that someone else has been using your phone around that time? That is a lot of data used to be an accident. It is also possible your phone is accessing the internet for updates as most smartphones do. One thing you can do is check to see if the Cellular Data is turned on in the phone. There have been times where a customer's phone had the data turned on withoutht he knowledge of the user and data charges do show up. But, like I said, 400mb of data in one day is difficult to say it is a mistake.
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

• 20,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Elaine, were you able to find out an answer to your question? Let us know :).

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.