data usage

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
I purchased a new phone and switched over to Koodo in January because I never used up my data on Telus within the time frame.  Now my data is almost gone and the month is only 1\2 over.  Why???  I am a part time user and am rather computer illiterate so I do not do any apps, purchases, games, and only 1 long distance caller.
I cannot seem to get my WiFi to accept Koodo - 
I also returned it to Walmart for these questions and the gentleman did not see anything wrong.
Darlene  Logan
Photo of Darlene Logan

Darlene Logan

• 70 Points

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,984 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What do you mean with you can't get your WiFi to accept Koodo? Do you have WiFi in the house? Did you connect your phone to that? If not, your phone is probably using data 100% of the time and that would add up quickly!
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,754 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Darlene,
What phone were you using? were it from Koodo?
Have you checked if you are using the correct parameters for wifi connections. Some phones have certain issues with certain wifi setup.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,316 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Darlene,

New phones are sold with mobile data enabled from the factory. So, the second you or the sales clerk turn the phone on and begin the setup phase, the phone will 'see' the open data connection and seek app updates in the background, update location information, send push notifications and email. This would explain why you're seeing a rapid loss of data. 

On most Android devices, (assuming that you're using an Android device), the first or second screen of the initial setup phase is the Wi-Fi setup screen. Often, this part of the setup phase is skipped, especially if someone just wants to use the phone right out of the box. At this point, mobile data is still running in the background.

Again, assuming that this is an Android device, the easiest way to take control of data usage is to turn off data when not needed. On most Android devices, go to: Settings > Connections > Data usage and look for a toggle switch labelled Mobile data. Slide the toggle switch to the off position to disable data.

In order to use your phones' built-in Wi-Fi feature, you will need a wireless modem from your internet service provider. Essentially, Koodo has no control over Wi-Fi. Setup is fairly easy. If you have any questions, we're here to help.

Please provide the make/model of phone you are using.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,120 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Was your old Telus phone able to connect to wifi?  You may want to use your sim in your old Telus phone in the mean time while you sort out your data usage issue