Data usage

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have an iPhone 6. I keep seeing weird data usage in the settings. For example, I facetimed with someone tonight. I made sure before I did that there was no cellular data usage under FaceTime in settings. I was connected to wifi the entire time. After I finish my call, I see 22.3mb of data used under FaceTime. How is this possible?! This happens for other apps too! They use data while I'm on wifi! And some apps still use data even though I have the slider turned off. I'm very careful with my data and now I have to check the settings regularly and I end up turning off my data because of all the weird usage. Any solutions?
Photo of John

John

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • angry, confused

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of John

John

Also, here's a screenshot of my data usage from the Koodo self serve. At 6:39AM I apparently used 9.71mb of data, but I know for a fact that I don't get up that early so how is it possible? My phone is on wifi when I'm at home, which is where I was.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 80,884 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of John

John

Thanks for replying :). I've had wifi assist turned off since day 1 and it's still off now.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,644 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The WI-Fi radio turns off when the phone is at rest. It is possible that the data auto downloads while the phone is 'sleeping'.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 107,120 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I don't think that is true on iPhone..? Wifi uses less battery then 3G, so why would they close the wifi?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,574 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They have in the past Robert, not sure about iOS 10 though but David is correct that it would switch to cellular data when the screen would go off, reasoning exactly I'm not sure