Data Usage

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I just got the iPhone 6S on the 30th. My data starts over again on the 29th. Today is the 1st and it's telling me I've used up 50% of my data already. I know for a fact I don't use up that much data in 4 days. So why did this happen?
Photo of MeganH

MeganH

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated and confused

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,702 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are you seeing in self-serve that you have use dup half of your data? Iphones have a wi-fi assist feature where the iphone will switch to cellular data if it perceives that wi-fi signal is not strong enough. It's possible that that happened. You can go to settings, cellular, cellular data usage to see what has used how much data. It does not reset monthly however, so you will need to reset it each new billing cycle. There are third party options that will measure on a monthly basis though.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 31,426 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Megan - looking at your account, I can verify that you have in fact used 50% of your allotment for the month. The bulk of this was done on the 30th where you used 759 MB in that one day. 

I would try the tips that Goran suggested above for wi-fi assist, and also ensure setting like background app refresh are only enabled when connected to wi-fi (further to that, I would suggest connecting to wi-fi whenever possible, if you aren't already). 
Photo of MeganH

MeganH

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks. I doubled checked all those things. I think it's also because I hadn't turned the data off on most of the apps yet.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,454 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Ranjan. 

I must say I had the weirdest data usage today at 8PM. In 2 minutes. I was at the end of a meeting and find it difficult to imagine so much data being used in such less time...