Data

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
It is common knowledge that data is free for companies and charging the general public for usage these days seems pointless. I pay internet at home and now I have to pay internet on my phone? I'm getting double gouged. Why not create a system that allows users to pay for both directly from you. Cable is becoming more and more obsolete, meaning most people just watch netflix and stream their sports. My idea... Create a package that allows users to bundle their phone and home internet without spending a fortune.
Photo of Mike Conacher

Mike Conacher

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • happy

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 187,758 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Can you provide some more info regarding how data is free for companies?
I'm not sure it is truly common knowledge? Are minutes and texts free for companies too?
Photo of Mike Conacher

Mike Conacher

Wow. Douche. Cell phone companies are charging a 400% markup, or more, for data. So it would be nice to be able to roam the internet without going over. And if you read my idea, i would like to see koodo bundle their phone plans with home internet in the future.
Photo of Mike Conacher

Mike Conacher

So what I should say, they are paying pennies on the dollar and then gouging the general public. But thanks for taking the time out of your day to say some condescending remark that makes you feel better or even proud on the inside. Whatever helps the iota of confidence and self worth you might have.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 187,758 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is common knowledge that data is free for companies and charging the general public for usage these days seems pointless.

So basically your first sentence is completely false and now you are angry that someone called you out on it?

There are huge capital cost to buy spectrum, build towers, create a full network. There are also large overhead costs to sell the service. If any of this is free, then yes there is a large mark-up. But after capital and overhead, the markup may not be the 400% you meticulously calculated.
If it was, Wind and Mobilicity would have a Canada Wide network and free data across the country.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.