Data Overages

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I went to check my cellphone bill last night, expecting it to be around $150 to $200 as I missed my last bill.
I logged on to see a $600 bill, with around $400 in data overages.. I am always on wifi, I wasn't alerted that I had went over my data, it wasn't suspended or anything.
The CRTC states that if it accumulates to $50 in a billing cycle, it is supposed to be suspended until or unless I give my permission to continue.

This also didn't happen.. I just finished school, I have 2 kids, I can barely afford my bills and to have this happen, it's going to be the end of me..

Please, some help, any help!
Photo of Dianna


  • 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • Depressed, Shocked, Frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

  • 100,592 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's ok. You can send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter or call #227 and explain what happened. You should be able to work something out.

You can check in self-serve to see if you have the notification for shock free data enabled.

Are you using a iPhone? Looking at page 3 of your bill do you recall the days you were charged for data and not having WiFi on?
Photo of Dianna


  • 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I will contact them today and see what they say,
but shouldn't I have been contacted when I reached my data limit?

and most definitely once I accumulated the $50 limit in overages?
Photo of Mats


  • 24,166 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You are only contacted when you reach your data limit if you have the data alerts on.

Yes your data should have been paused when you reached $50 in data overages. They then contact you and you have to respond for data to be resumed again. To get $400 in data overages this happened alot. If you or the phone that used all the data never received any kind of warning or message then there is a problem.

Check your account settings and if it was the kids phone that used all the data make sure they don't have authority to have it resumed. Contact them and explain and I'm sure something can be worked out. Good luck.