Data overage?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: OP was contacted and issue resolved.

I got a warning 2 days ago saying I used up 75% of my data. Yesterday as I was leaving work I recieved a text saying I used up 90% of my data. So before i started driving home I put my iphone in driving mode. I turned it off once I got home 40 mins later and there were 40 text messages from koodo saying I used up all my data.
How did I use so much data while in driving mode. Doesn't koodo freeze data usage and send a text offering to add more data for a certain price. It looks like I now owe $70 for using 1.3gig while I wasn't even using my phone. 
Photo of ap81

ap81

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The shock free data is only for newer plans and you need to check in self-serve that it's enabled if you do have it. You might have had app or system updates or something to that effect.

How much data do you have?

You can use apple's built in data tracker to se but it doesn't reset monthly but it can give you a general idea if you hadn't manually reset it recently. You can download data tracking apps from the app store for the future at least to see what has been using how much data and when.
Photo of ap81

ap81

And why do all my replies show up as duplicates on my end? I need a beer...
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,788 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
THAT is a self-serve option, as long as you have a SFD plan. The settings for your data alerts and actions can all be modified in Self-serve. If you have an older plan which is not  a Shock-Free Data plan, you would need to upgrade. There should be an option to receive the alerts, and one to block the data.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,632 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The duplicates is an error that happens occasionally on the community.  I have removed them.

@David, that option is no longer available as I dont see it on my self serve.  Are you able to see it on yours?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,788 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Dennis, seems to have changed since I last looked.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,632 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
@David, Does yours look similar to what AP81 and I see?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,994 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Data only stops if you are on a shock free plan, and if you disabled overage. In that case you should receive a text offering you more data.

As for what can be using that much data, check your phone... Koodo does not track what data is used for (they can't, legally). Might be a rogue app gobbling up your data, or maybe you set it to update apps etc using your data plan.
Photo of ap81

ap81

how do you disable overage?
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 42,126 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
With koodo ShockFreeData, if you setup properly, you would be asked if you want overage data.
However, there is no automatic anti-overage function for talking minutes
Photo of ap81

ap81

K so HOW EXACTLY DO YOU SET IT UP PROPERLY SO YOU DON'T GET CHARGED OVERAGES?  One of us has to be an idiot, it might be me be cause I can't find that option anywhere. I have all the boxes checked off like Denis posted. I get all the notification but now I'm stuck with a $70 bill cause my data went over by 1.3gb magically. 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You'd make sure your notifications are set as Dennis screen capped and others also explained. Then it'll block data at 100% and you reply yes to allow it to continue. So you're saying it was already set that way. It might have been a glitch. You could send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter and a rep could look into whether or not it was a glitch and if it should be working properly. You could likely get it credited then if you ask given what you're saying.
Photo of ap81

ap81

My screen looks just like Dennis'. It's been that way for many moons. Probably since I got this plan last January. I've only received messages like the ones I posted. Nothing about buying more data. It must be a koodo glitch I guess? I'll take your advise Goran. 

Hey Ranjan, could you look at my account again and delete the $70 charge that I didn't approve,ask for or accept in any way? If not can you explain how this happened? I have my 2 toddlers as my witnesses.... I was driving when this was happening, not playing on my stupid phone accepting insane data fees in the hoop. 
I'll accept the fact that it could somehow be my fault that some app magically decided to use data at the worst possible time when I had no idea it was happening, BUT it should have been stopped on Koodo's end once my data plan was used up. I have shock free data and I'm a little bit in shock.
(Edited)
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 30,502 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey AP - from what I can see, you've been on a Shock-Free Data plan since you signed up a year ago. I also checked the past few months, and looks like you didn't get close to any notification triggers, so this may have been the first time you were actually notified of going over - I do see multiple messages being sent on the same day advising each time you exceeded your overage bucket.

We can dig deeper and ensure the account is set-up properly to block once you reach 100% of your allotment, but will need to authenticate you as the account owner. If you send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter, a rep will help you with this (feel free to include a link to this thread for reference). It won't be instant - at the moment, response time is actually 1-2 days given the current backlog, but we will help figure this out with you. 
Photo of ap81

ap81

@ranjan
Hi it's me again.....
Yes please look deeper and tell Mr. Koodo to fix it's screw up.(reverse my $70 overage charge and block my data once I reach my limit!) Obviously I had did nothing wrong on my end. According to this:https://www.koodomobile.com/help/pausing-and-resuming-data my data should have been stopped once I reached my limit. Then I should have been given the option to buy more data as I am a sfd customer. Even if I wasn't a sfd customer my data should have been stopped once I reached $50 in overage charges. I was NOT given any option to buy more data and I didn't have my data blocked. I'll post all the screen shots of the text messages I recieved from Koodo. None of them gives an option to buy more data and I did NOT reply to any of them.
Koodo has my email address and I'm pretty sure they have my phone number. Call me stupid but I'm pretty sure you could verify that it's my account by Phoning me at the phone number I have through KOODO? Or maybe and email address?  This would save me a lot of time an headache from having to get facebook messenger or twitter then figure out how the hell to use it. I've already wasted enough time whining on this forum and getting no where.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

With this being a public forum, we're limited in terms of what info. we can gather and share here - which is why I suggested Facebook private message, as it's 1:1 and you wouldn't have to wait on hold, compared to calling.
THat said, let me see if I can get the team to look into this and I'll circle back with more info.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

AP - just tried calling you and got voicemail. Let me know a good time to try back.
Photo of ap81

ap81

Ranjan, thank you for your patience and helping me out. Sorry for being so impatient and sarcastic on the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to call and sort this out! 
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Not a problem sir - glad we were able to chat through the details. As mentioned, the notification preferences have been updated on your account, and you shouldn't encounter this problem again. If you have any other questions, feel free to come back here for help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.