Data overage charges

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
I have a shock-free data plan and was advised via text that I reached my data limit. I responded to the text requesting the additional data amount for the $5 charge option, but on my bill I was charged $20. I never received another text requesting authorization for further charges after I agreed to the $5 charge.
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,904 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Nicole,
What was the original text? they normally had the option $10 and $20, I didn't see the option for $5 https://www.koodomobile.com/help/pausing-and-resuming-data

It could be something else also, was it the charge on your pdf bill? (page 3 normally will tell the detail)
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,994 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Did you respond with just "yes" or was it something else? Yes gets you pay per use rates. $20 would have been for 1GB. How did you respond to the text?
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

Page 3 of my PDF bill says "Data Usage-Total used 843.720 MB and the charge is $20. I don't recall the exact text I received but it was advising that I have reached my data limit and my data is now on hold. If I wanted to top up my data, it offered me three responses which cost either $5, $10 or $20. I responded using the code for the $5 top up. My bill looks like I was charged that initial $5 on June 22, but then it kept charging me additional costs....$10 on July 01 and another $5 on Jul 06.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 115,066 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sound like you have a plan with overage charges for 100mb for $5.
And after your limit of 500mb, you must respond with pay per use top up
Extra 300mb (100mb x 3) plus another $5 for 100mb
=$20

Check your text again. Because their message to purchase extra data top up is very clear (for me)
BTW, my pay per use charge is $10 for 100mb. Its the difference from you.
(Edited)
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

Does that mean even if I only responded once, they can continually charge me? I assumed that I would get another text letting me know I have reached my limit again.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 115,066 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It should. I always receive my usage message when it hit 50% or 90% of top up data.

Didn't you reply each time?
Or does it say for data? Did you go close to border or something else?
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Maybe post a screen shot of your shock free data text messages?
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

I did not reply each time. I replied once accepting a $5 charge. I did not go close to the border. And unfortunately, I do not have a the text anymore.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
hmm.... are you one of those few people who delete their text convos?

Ok well if you want to dispute your charges you will need to contact Koodo.  Your best bet will be to send them a private message via facebook or twitter, otherwise you will be waiting on hold over the phone for a long time