Data

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I wonder why, having 2 gigs of data per month, with all the apps background restricted, and my data saver on and still, in 2 if lucky 3 days I'm out of my data or just over before I notice going over. Plus I get notified of %50/90 data use and still I don't get no more than this. Anyone know why, or can help explain this, as it is so very annoying. I don't have wifi or home internet and I just like to go longer than 2/3 days
Photo of Alex Drake

Alex Drake

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,716 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Your phone has a listing of apps and the amount of data they use. You can find it in the settings menu under cellular, if I recall. This should help you learn which apps consume the most data.
That you do not have access to land-based Internet may be part of the reason for consumption levels. Even fairly light users of home internet will use tens to hundreds of GB per month.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,624 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What apps are using all/most of your data?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,984 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's weird, Alex. I use about 80 MB per month on average, so it's possible to use less. Have you disabled all non essential Internet communication such as updating apps, uploading pictures and videos, etc?
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

• 4,356 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Sophia is right. I used to be with another division of Telus Company and I had 1GB add-on. It took me over a year to use it so it is really possible to use very little data if you wish so. Something must be set wrong on your phone. 

It looks like you are not on shock free data plan. Last notification should be at 100%
Photo of J Doyle

J Doyle

• 530 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I only have 500 mbs and used up 0.51 mbs as soon as I turnd on data never did anything but turn it on .

After looking I found google service and the os was useing it auto So far I cant stop them from useing it up
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,624 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Half a MB is little to nothing now a days.
Google services can be just about anything. Clock, location services, etc.
You can try restricting the background usage to help but like I said. 0.5 isnt much and you'll almost always have background usage with data on.
Photo of J Doyle

J Doyle

Yes I know
I still put the data saver on were I only got 500mbs
I want to keep data on so I can be connected to be able to get that new alert I wasnt on data last time it was tested so I wasn't on a g3 or g4 just wi-fi .

Other then that maybe sms a few images ect .

I am on a lg g6
Idk why I didn't get the
Alert thinking it was data not being connect to a lte and just on wi fi
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 142,506 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Something like a third of the country didn't get the test alert last week.
Photo of J Doyle

J Doyle

So it had nothing to do with me not haveing data on be connected to a lte g3 or g4 ?

Will it work just by the text sms
I seen on a koodoo page that you have to be connected to a g3 or g4 lte sever.

So now I just keep data on to stay some what connected to the lte server.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No, it does not work by SMS, so you do need to have data on. I use my data freely, and consume less than 1000 MB most months. My better half gets by on less than 100MB per month. Staying within a 500 MB bucket o' data should be easy. Just go to your cellular settings in your phone, and turn off all the apps you don't need consuming cellular data. Let Facebook, photos and the operating system update over Wi-Fi, and you'll be good.
Photo of J Doyle

J Doyle

I'm not sure if I did that right.

Where are the cellular settings on a lg g6
(Edited)