data charge

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I never got ANY notice that there were data charges. It is my sons phone, and I had the data turned off once his limit has been reached. Somehow, Koodo turned it on, as I did not. I now have a bill for over $300!!! I never approved this. How could it have turned on? and why wasn't I notified? I can't afford this charge.
Photo of Kathy Bell

Kathy Bell

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,574 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo didn't turn it on your son did. Koodo sends a text message to the phone and the user has the option to keep going at the rate specified and this is the only way to continue using data after the warning and stoppage. You'll need to talk to your son about this as it's not something you can do by accident so he was well aware of the extra charges he was accumulating.
(Edited)
Photo of Kathy Bell

Kathy Bell

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The problem is that I had the data blocked, and i'm the owner of the account, so why wasn't I made aware of this? He doesn't have the pin
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,962 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
How did you block the data?
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 115,066 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What plan does he have?

ADD:
" I had the data turned off once his limit has been reached. "
 - If your son has SFD plan,his data will stop when it reached to his limit.  

BUT, notification text is sent to user.  So, kid/subscriber can accept offer that says "Text yes to unpause and purchase more data".  They don't need pin number.
And they just continue to reply "yes" to get more data.  This is big problem with other companies too.

Now Koodo added this new feature to able control subscriber's data usage.
Login to self serve > my profile > chose the number you want to do parental control > Scroll down > Data manage > Switch to NO for permission to buy more data.

You can check more info about data alert through the link Mats provided below.
(Edited)
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,962 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Make sure you set up proper alerts.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/data-usage-alerts

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.